forend spacer

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by thisisdonald, Oct 26, 2016.

1. thisisdonald

thisisdonald .22LR

Hi folks...

Ive been inspecting my 1954 auto5 and have discovered a ding at the front of the ejection port, indicating compressed wood on the forend. The field manual says to replace the forend! I say place a washer where said wood is compressed.
    Im just wondering if any of you gents have done this? basically I want to slip a washer over the mag tube to sit on top of the barrel ring before installing the forend, to move the barrel back about 2mm, thus stopping the charging handle smacking the receiver when it moves to the forward position.

thanks for looking
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I've heard of guys installing a buffer in the forearm, which seems like a better way to fix your shotgun. I think they use a hard rubber or plastic washer.

Let us know how it works out.
  3. thisisdonald

thisisdonald .22LR

Will do. I have a hard rubber washer and 2 home made plastic washers ready. I also have a spare set sitting in some eds red oil just now as a test in case the material isn't compatible.
    I started refinishing my wood the other day and also noticed a split on the forend. It doesn't seem to be recoil related - just an unfortunate case of a length of grain being on the wrong place. I have split it it, filled with pva and strapped it up. Hopefully it will be set today and I can continue oiling.
  4. Tom

Tom .22LR

What about a spacer made of walnut or oak that could be changed? Lots of mechanical equipments have a "wear bushing." For these severely worn forearms I think a hand crafted wooden spacer would work.
  5. thisisdonald

thisisdonald .22LR

Thanks Tom, but like most folks, I'm looking for something lying around the shed first. I don't have any walnut unfortunately. If the rubber doesn't work I'll turn one up out of delrin/acetal to fit.
    I agree walnut would be nice but it's too much work for me.