Skeet Night

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Rudolph31, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Can do if your adventurous. Any ties get sorted with pairs on 8 or pairs on 4. Skeet under lights is hard work. Very dependent on how good the light is.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

That’s the truth. The sun goes down at 4:30 this time of year, and we shoot at 6:00. Shooting in daylight feels like cheating.
  3. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

High 8 or low 8 with black underside and poor layout “candlepower” can lead to frustration
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Skeet Night was cancelled Wednesday. We had an ice storm followed by two days of snow. State wide. Resources were spread so thin that they only plowed our street last night. I was extra disappointed because I did well the previous week and was hoping the magic was still there.

[​IMG]

Above is my original post on 16gauge.com. Note the date. Since that first game, no one had gotten a perfect score. Until last week, almost exactly 8 years later on the 26th.

[​IMG]

And this page shows our special rules. The original thread is here:

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15529&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Anyway, I went to The Chair clean. I’ve been shooting my 1947 12 gauge and cranked the Poly Choke to FULL. Usually I’m lucky to get a piece of a bird but that night I crushed all four. One of my friends wasn’t watching, so we waited until he was done fiddling in his truck. The mystery bird turned out to be from the low house and I hit that one too.

I’m still in disbelief. We shot on at least 400 Wednesdays in 8 years. And we probably averaged at least 6 guys a night. That’s 2400 games. No one dreamed that it would take this long.

[​IMG]
    win7stw likes this.
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Good deal Rudolph31. I feel your pain. It's in the 20's in Texas. I went to shoot skeet this morning and the gal behind the counter looked at me like I was crazy. She said, uh the skeet fields are closed, it's too cold. Then she said," Is there any weather you won't shoot in"?? My reply was "nope". That choke is really ugly, but effective.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Thanks, Ranger. I like the looks of the Poly, especially on an Auto-5. We’ve shot at 10° before. On the night is question it was a comfortable 23°. But we were still dressed up like Ralphie’s brother Randy in A Christmas Story.
    Ranger6 likes this.
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

You Sally’s it was -17 on the way to work today
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

That’s a warm day for you guys who choose to live at the North Pole. But those of us here in the sane part of the country would appreciate it if you kept your Arctic air to yourselves.
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Sharing is caring buddy. Plus that cold air helps keep the riff raff out
    Rudolph31 and Ranger6 like this.
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Nice weather meant there were plenty of riff raff last night. And the magic was gone too. I shot a 21 at Crazy. Maybe in another 8 years…