Skeet Night

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Rudolph31, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

So, despite the 16 being my favorite Auto-5 to collect, I mostly shoot my Light Twelve. And when I do bring out a 16, it’s usually one of the short chambered guns. But for the last couple of weeks I’ve been shooting my 1957 Sweet Sixteen.

Not the prettiest gun in the safe, but it’s an excellent shooter. Except I can’t shoot it well. Or I couldn’t, last night was chilly and the jacket I was wearing made it fit a little better. So I won at Skeet with a disappointing 22. Almost won at Crazy, I was only down one but missed all four from the chair. It went to a shoot-off but that short barrel and cylinder bore make it tough to shoot from 40 yards.

Also, last year a friend gave me several boxes of 16 gauge ammo. Most of it was 65mm and I used it up right away. One box was 70mm and I’d forgotten about it. Winchester Long Range 1 ounce of number 7 1/2. It didn’t show the FPS or Dram Equivalent but it felt like buckshot coming out the end. And it really smashed the targets. Wish I could get some more...

[​IMG]
    win7stw likes this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Very nice Rudolph31. And you can get some more. It’s called reload them. Not only does it save money, (more shooting), and for me it’s very relaxing.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Your ugliest gun is probably better than my nicest. It’s crazy what a little difference in LOP will do isn’t it? It’s been cold up here and I started shooting like shit and it happens every year when it gets cold. I’m thinking the extra layers mess me up.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Justin the added layers are for sure causing problems. It’s hard to find warm gear that you can actually shoot in. Going to be a big problem for me when I move back north. I don’t even own a coat anymore.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I do reload, though having cornered the market on Herter’s and having a good supply of Remington Game Loads, I’ve been concentrating on the 65mm shells. I may run some 70mm’s off, but to duplicate those Winchesters I think I’d need to use 30 grains of powder.

The length does make a difference. Maybe you should shoot a 12 in the summer. The funny thing is I used to shoot my 16’s very well. I switched to the 12 because I got tired of picking up the hulls.
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Most times I shoot the 16 on skeet and my 12 gauge Citori on sporting
  7. antman73

antman73 .410

I also usually shoot my 12 Light but I'm considering a side by side. Tired of chasing the casings and I feel it's a bit long for me without a jacket. With the jacket of course it gets longer.
    I haven't even considered loading my own ammo but maybe some day.
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Then you should definitely get a 16!
    antman73 likes this.
  9. Ranger6

Antman- reloading is a breeze. Follow the load data and get a single stage to learn on. The sxs is a different animal and takes some getting use too. I have several and they are by far my favorites. Of course next to the A5.
    antman73 likes this.
  10. antman73

antman73 .410

Rudolph I'm on the lookout for a 16 or 20. My brother years ago had and sold (or traded away) a two shot 12 that we always thought Browning built for Skeet.

Ranger my favorite is the Auto 5 but when I used to hunt some of my best days in the field were with an old Lefever 12 SxS and a old 20 SxS from a German Smith. Still have them both.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  11. Ranger6

Antman very cool. So your already use to the sxs’s. Would like to see some pic of them for sure.
    antman73 likes this.
  12. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

ANY day-------- shooting ANY A5---------------
    is a good day.
    Rudolph31 and Ranger6 like this.
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I agree, but it’s much better when you hit. And even better when you hit it hard.
  14. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I meant to respond to this sooner. It’s a Browning Double Auto. I have one, there’s a thread about it here: http://www.browningowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/browning-double-auto.10692/
    antman73 likes this.
  15. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Getting better with Shooter Sixteen. I shot a 24 last week — missing the easiest shot on the field, Low 7. Hit 2 from the chair at Crazy, enough to win 21 to 20.

It’s Skeet Night again tonight. I hope the stars are still aligned...
  16. antman73

antman73 .410

Rudolph31 likes this.
  17. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Again excuse ignorance What’s your skeet game Crazy based on doing?
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I learned about it from Skeettx over on 16ga.com. It’s Skeet doubles from the Trap stations. Two pair at each station, first pair high house first, second low first. 0-3 second delay — if you leave early I’ll send the bird while you’re moving your barrel backwards. Repeat your first miss like in Skeet.

The last two pair are taken from the ref station, and here’s where I screwed up. I assumed the Trap ref station, which is a raised chair about 30 yards back. It was supposed to be the station 8 Skeet ref station. But we do it from the chair. It’s kinda like sitting in a duck blind, so we start with the gun in our laps, and our rules say we’ve got to call Quack! instead of Pull. If you forget to say quack the hits don’t count. It’s damned hard, so double points if you hit all four.

I, and others, have hit all four numerous times. But nobody has gotten a perfect score. Also, many have had a winning game stolen by someone who shot lousy but hit all four. That’s more fun than shooting well, but annoying as hell when someone does it to you.

Many have gone to the chair clean, only to blow it there. No one has made it to 24 with one shot left. We’ve decided that will be a Mystery Bird from either house.

It’s more fun than Skeet, try it.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  19. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Thanks for details. Sounds good will give it a go. Saw one of your old posts on “bits n pieces” going to try that one on as well. If your into different challenges try shooting random round backwards starting from station 8 low. Nobody allowed to remind or prompt anyone. If out of sequence is lost , as well as any misses. That messes with your head.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  20. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Cool. Do you shoot the doubles backwards as well, as in shoot the incomer first?

I shot mediocre tonight. Everyone did, so I won Skeet with a 20. Lost Crazy 21-20. And lost Bits ‘N Pieces by several. I think that Shooter Sixteen is going back in the safe.