removing the cap

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by BRANDONT, Sep 21, 2015.

1. BRANDONT

BRANDONT .22LR

I went to take the cap off to get to the spring and spacers but the cap will not come off! I put a rubber band on it for extra grip and nothing, and I am not weak by any means. I DO NOT wanna put a pair of pliers on it if i don't have to. any suggestion?? Thanks in advance
  2. bgold

bgold .22LR

I've had that problem...what I did was use a oil filter strap wrench available at any parts store. Never had a problem, even with the tightest caps, to get one off using that. The one I got is nylon so no marring, and there are also models with rubber straps. The way the rubber strap models are made had me worried about marring a nice cap.

My Stalker is notoriously tough for some reason, and I had to put a ratchet on the end (as they are designed to be used) to get it off the first time. Must be why there were plier marks on it when I got it! Every other A5 I've been able to get the cap off using the strap by hand.
    BRANDONT and Rudolph31 like this.
  3. Coonrod

Coonrod .22LR

you might also use a penetrating oil called Kano Kroil. A couple drops let it sit overnight and remove the cap. Best stuff I've ever seen. Also removes rust pretty well. This stuff will go where Roaches can't crawl. LOL
    BRANDONT likes this.
  4. bgold

bgold .22LR

Kroil is amazing stuff! Great penetrating oil, and it even removes moly out of my rifle barrels...
    BRANDONT likes this.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Good answers. I'd like to add that it helps to pull the barrel back a bit to remove the tension.
    Setters4life and BRANDONT like this.
  6. BRANDONT

BRANDONT .22LR

y didn't I think of that, great idea now I just need to find my strap wrench thanks
  7. BRANDONT

BRANDONT .22LR

awesome where can I get some and thanks for the idea!
  8. BRANDONT

BRANDONT .22LR

I had this same idea I tried that as well and nothing lol thanks though
  9. Coonrod

Coonrod .22LR

I looked up Kano Kroil on the computer and ordered direct from Kano. remember a little goes a long way. They say it will penetrate a space of one two millionth of an inch and I believe it! As I recall a 6 or 8 ounce can was about $18.00. I learned about it from a friend who did "work overs" on oil refineries. He said you could spray it on a six inch rusty nut and come back the next day and remove it like it had only been there a couple days. Another friend had a rifle barrel covered in rust, sprayed it, wrapped it in a rag covered with kroil, next day wiped the rust off with a rag. LOVE this stuff!
    BRANDONT likes this.
  10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Good ideas...let us know what works !!
  11. BRANDONT

BRANDONT .22LR

thanks again guys, really glad I joined this thread!
  12. BRANDONT

BRANDONT .22LR

I talked to the purchasing agent at work today about the kroil he checked our suppliers I have to buy 2-8oz cans but at our cost it's cheaper than 1 can off amazon and i will have it by the end of the week
    Coonrod likes this.
  13. Coonrod

Coonrod .22LR

That's great! I think you'll like it.
    BRANDONT likes this.
  14. BRANDONT

BRANDONT .22LR

by everything I'm reading I'm sure I'm gonna
  15. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Keep us in the loop...
    BRANDONT likes this.
  16. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

I removed an overly tight magazine cap a couple of hours ago by first wrapping it in electrical tape and using a set of channel locks. It seemed to work pretty well at protecting the knurls. I couldn't see any damage.
  17. BRANDONT

BRANDONT .22LR

I thought about that but I used to be a plumber and did that to my pliers to install bathtub spickets and didn't want to get the glue residue on the cap. But I did get it I took a heavy rag and put it on the cap and put the rubber end of the pliers on it and twisted it off with another pair of pliers. I have owned this gun for 18 years and never had this apart iwas amazed to see there was adequate lubrication on everything
  18. BRANDONT

BRANDONT .22LR

oh and the cap comes off with ease now
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  19. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

I probably should have done something different but I had "the urge" to get that thing off. I used to sell cleaning chemicals for ZEP Inc and still have some amazing products.....orange gel degreaser is my adhesive remover!

I didn't need any though.
  20. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Good to know...