Recent LGS conversation....

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Bill Idaho, Jan 30, 2023.

1. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

A week or three ago, while searching for another Auto5, as I am walking down the aisle, my friend points out an Auto5 on a table. I innocently walk up, and look at all the different guns on the guy's table. There were several pistols, a couple of rifles, and three shotguns. (One being the Auto 5.) At first glance, without even touching it, it looks to be from the 1920-30s or so, in pretty good condition, with a solid rib. It was a standard, grade 2. With all due respect, nothing special, I already have most of the 1920-30s offerings. I turn th4e tag over to read it, and it says "Pre Browning FN, $700". (???) That in and of itself peaked my interest. A "Pre Browning: Auto5?

"Excuse me sir, do you mind if I pick this shotgun up and look at it?"

"No, go ahead. That's an early pre Browning Auto5. It was made at FN, before they were actually Brownings...."

"Hmmmm. Interesting. What were they before they were marked Browning?

"FN"

(While I am talking with this guy, my friend took my phone and looked up the serial number. It turned out it was a 1931, of which I already have two of.)

"Oh. Interesting. Is your price firm, or can you sharpen up your pencil a little?"

"As rare as those are, I am going to have to stick with the price marked on it, $700. You won't find another like it."

"I understand, can I ask one more question?"

"Sure"

"It is stamped "Browning" right on it. Now I'm confused..."

"I don't know what to tell you....."

"Thanks." And I walked on.

As Andy Sipowicz once said-- "Don't pee in my ear and tell me it's raining."
    Rudolph31 and Ranger6 like this.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Ignorance is rampant.
    Ranger6 likes this.
  3. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

I like the "you won't find another one like it " bit
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Sipowicz — wasn’t he a detective on Hill Street Blues?
  5. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Real close!!! He (Dennis Franz, currently enjoying his retirement up here in northern Idaho!) played a detective on Hill Street Blues, but the role of Andy Sipowicz was the detective he portrayed on NYPD blue. Without looking it up, I think his character's name was Sal Beneditto---I think. I think a couple of actors from HSB made it over the NYPD Blue, and as I recall, virtually all of the administrative (producers, writers, etc) were the same people. Steven Bocho was the main writer.
    Side note---the character of Andy Sipowicz was that of a seasoned detective, a former alcoholic, that was quite "influential" in getting results behind closed doors with suspects. He used his own schtik--as every detective does ( I am former LE). His was quite unique. The way he worded things, asked questions, etc, he would tie suspects up with his own brand of logic. And, since it was a TV show, he was highly successful. When I went to POST in my training to become a deputy, during the class that was supposed to teach us the proper methods of getting information out of someone, the very first thing the instructor did was play a handful of TV clips of Andy using his methods (minus the physical tuning up!)--then after the class watched the videos, the instructor would loudly and firmly say "That is how NOT to interview someone!!"
    Over the years, I would in fact use the logic Andy used, and every single time, I got to the truth,without all the bull. Disclaimer---in no way was anything I ever did illegal, etc. I just would think "How would Andy ask this question?"

Anyway, in retrospect, I should have shown the guy at the gun show a picture of my herd, and point out yes, in fact there ARE others like it.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I looked it up. After Sal Benedetto offed himself, the actor came back a couple years later as Lt. Norman Buntz. Fun to watch, especially as the psychopath Benedetto.