Question on an inherited Auto-5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Jasper, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Jasper

Jasper Copper BB

Hi all, new member here.

I recently inherited an Auto-5 from my grandfather when he passed. It was his duck gun, trusty standby, and the gun I learned to shoot with. However, when I took possession of it, the barrel had a setup that I hadn't seen him use before. We were unable to find any chokes or additional parts for it in his belongings, so I'll need to purchase parts to get it into the setup I'm familiar with. That said, what am I looking at with this vented bit on the barrel?

I'd like to keep the gun in the house as a secondary home defense weapon, but I don't want to put anything but birdshot through it until I know what this vented part is. Can I put 00 buckshot through it without turning the piece into a banana peel?

Thanks in advance...

Auto5.jpg 5
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Hello Jasper, and welcome.

You've got a Cutts Compensator on your Auto-5, the first screw-in choke system. The chokes, and the wrench, are available from Numrich Arms and eBay.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Search.htm?s=Cutts

Yours looks like a Full Choke. I hadn't thought about shooting buckshot through it. I put a Spreader on mine so I could use it for Skeet. That might be more appropriate for home defense also.

Before you bet your life on this gun, make sure it's set up properly. Download the manual from Browning and ask any questions here.

Don't forget to post pictures!

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Jasper !!

(...Always learning something new
    from you Rudolph31, thanks !! )
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

SHOOTER13 likes this.
  5. Jasper

Jasper Copper BB

That's great info - thank you much for the quick reply. Appreciate the link to the parts vendor - I'm looking forward to working with this gun once more.