Nickel plated Auto 5?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Sep 3, 2023.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Saw this gun on a different site. It’s a 1953 Sweet Sixteen. The owner claims it is on one of 75 plated through the Browning custom shop. I have never seen or heard of Browning nickel plating them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Very interesting. I hadn’t heard of that either.

It may have been done at the Browning Custom Shop, which I’ve not heard of before. The engraving looks a little washed out, as happens when a gun is refinished. You’d think that if Browning did it they would have re-cut it.

If I were to buy it, I’d want a letter from Browning first. In fact, if they’re selling it at a premium, they should provide the letter.
    KyBoB likes this.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I think the guy is full of it. I think someone had it plated. I still want to have one French greyed
    KyBoB likes this.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

What are they asking?
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Supposedly the guy that posted those pictures not both of those guns for 1100
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I agree full of it, but hey might be a good bird gun, that shinny receiver would blind them, making then easier to shoot. That 11-48 would be a good shooter.
  7. Biz

Biz 20g

Hey friend, refresh my memory, what is "French greyed"
  8. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

I reckon it's been re done.
    Late 80s had a higher grade O/U repaired sent back at FN custom shop Leige under warranty.
    I was second owner.
    Took 10 mths and it came back absolutely perfect better than brand new with re finished wood, bonus engraving upgrade to trigger guard and lever ,signed for the inconvenience and paperwork to quantify.
    That's customer service!
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I am looking to have one done in “coin finish” or silver nitride. I want this look

[​IMG]
  10. Biz

Biz 20g

That is a nice Browning. Which model is it. Is it hand engraved?
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

16 Gauge 525 Sporting. Not hand engraved
  12. Biz

Biz 20g

I thought it was useless to ask which gauge it was.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I slummed it the other day and shot my 12 gauge 425
  14. Years ago a friend of mine had one like it, I wish I had purchased it.