new to the forum and new to the rifle

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by thunderDan, Mar 10, 2015.

1. thunderDan

thunderDan Copper BB

Hello, I recently received a Browning BLR. I did not purchase it but was given to me when the owner passed away. I know its chambered for .223/.556 but other then that i do not know much about the rifle. It came with a bunch of .223 and .556 ball rounds(these look to be military surplus from the packaging) as well as some scope rings and a nice bushnell scope. I was wondering if anyone could help figure out what model it is and fill me in on any key information such as cleaning tips, prefered ammo, anyhting really. I have no experiance with lever action rifles and would like to become more familiar with the ins and outs. Thank you.
  2. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

A pic or two would help. There have been a couple BLR variations over the years. The older ones use a steel receiver, whereas the newer ones use aluminum. It is nearly impossible, and very expensive, to find magazines for the old steel receiver models. Current aluminum magazines are readily available, but a different design. The bolt design is quite different between the steel vs. alum models, too. There are now take-down models; is yours one of these?

For basic cleaning, just use a Bore Snake or something like that most of the time. If you want to clean with a cleaning rod, get a brass muzzle guide/guard so you don't mess up the crown. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE OR DISASSEMBLE THE BOLT OR BOLT CARRIER UNLESS YOU'RE _VERY_ GOOD WITH MACHINES AND SMALL PARTS. You'll be sorry, otherwise. ;)
  3. thunderDan

thunderDan Copper BB

I will get some pics up tomorrow. I do not think its a take down model, I see no way of taking it apart. I will look for a bore snake, thank you.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum thunderDan !!
  5. thunderDan

thunderDan Copper BB

Thank you Shooter13.
  6. Is it a 5.56 or .223? Should have a stamp. I have 2 rifles in those calibers. You can shoot the .223 ammo in the barrel chambered in 5.56. .... But CANT shoot 5.56 ammo in a barrel chambered in 223. Be careful. This info comes from both manuals and a gun smith.
  7. Blr is a thing of beauty..you can load any type of nasty tipped hunting shell in you please..it is one of the only levers with this option thanks to the magazine.
  8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Looking forward to the pictures Dan !!