New Browning X-Bolt Target owner.

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Area' started by Richr, Jan 2, 2024.

1. Richr

Richr Copper BB

Just bought a brand new Browning X-bolt Target McMillan stock model in 6.5 Creedmoor. My first Browning rifle. It is new old stock. From 2017. I don’t compete so I don’t mind the four round magazine. I shoot mostly from the bench. All ways wanted one. And saw one on an auction site. The price was right. And now it’s mine. I have a Barra 12-60X56mm scope for it already. Already installed a Mcarbo trigger spring. Set it at 1.75 lbs. It has a 28 inch barrel. Not counting the muzzle brake. So I had to buy a longer cleaning rod. Will perform the barrel break in. Even though I’m not a big believer in it actually doing much. Will give a range update later on. I’m a reloader. So it might take awhile to figure out what it likes. Have three different bullet weights to try. No reviews on the internet on this model that I could find. If it’s not a shooter. I will rebarrel it.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Welcome sir, thanks for joining. Sounds like a nice rifle for sure. When you get a minute post some pictures. I would like to check out the new toy.
    Lynn Truesdell likes this.
  3. Richr

Richr Copper BB

4. Richr

Richr Copper BB

5. Richr

Richr Copper BB

Rings are low height. Took awhile to find off set rings. The scope is extremely long. It Is a Barra Optics MP 12-60X56mm SFP scope. Made in Japan. Glass clarity is excellent. Back in the day it retailed for $1295. Barra was getting out of the optics business. And I paid $350. Replaced the bolt knob with one from Glades Armory. Installed a Versa pod bipod adapter flat bottom. My rifle has a swivel sling stud in the front. The problem I have found with the adapter being flat and the stock. It will twist on you sometimes. And over time you mess up the stock finish. My solution is to use poster tape on the adapter which doesn’t harm paint. And is sticky enough to prevent twisting. Have a scope throw lever on order for it. Was thinking about upgrading the muzzle brake to the new model Browning is using now. But I shoot from the bench. So I’m not too worried about kicking up dust. Which is a problem with the old model when shooting prone. Right now I have the trigger set at 2 lbs. It feels great. No grit.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2024
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I like it. One question for you. Does the wife know your fixing guns on her clean, light-colored tablecloth in the kitchen? That cover wouldn't be fit for the barn after I was done.
  7. Richr

Richr Copper BB

She was mad. But I told her Ranger6 said it was ok. She hasn’t figured out who you are. So you should be safe.
    Ranger6 likes this.
  8. Ranger6

Thats funny. Don't get her mad at me. Nothing like a womans furry. My Grandmother use to keep a stick in the kitchen when I was a kid running by to steal hot cookies off the table. One crack with that stick and you learn your lesson, stay out of the kitchen.