LGS visit

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Feb 17, 2023.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

A friend told me that there was an old gauge Auto 5 at one of the local gun stores. I was finally able to have time and check it out today. It is labeled as a 2-1/2” gun and comes with some 65mm ammo. Before the salesman can hand it to me I see a lot of barrel extension. I tell him that it is has been converted to 2-3/4” and he instantly gets argumentative. After looking closer it has a 2-3/4 barrel extension on the correct barrel. I had him remove the forearm so I could inspect the solid rib barrel. Serial number matched the receiver, date code was correct but it had the full size sliding ejector. The ejection port had signs of being opened up. I told him that they must have put a 2-3/4” barrel extension on a 2-9/16” gun.

I am pretty sure he thought I had no clue what I was talking about. The price was $700 and he wouldn’t budge even with a terribly cracked forearm and a botched conversion. The one thing it had going for it was a beautiful uncut stock that doesn't have the wrap around checkering. I might go back in a week and try again
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

Tire- kicker.......BWAAAAHAHAhahahaha!
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I probably were outdoors have bought it cuz I could use the stock and barrel but the dudes attitude got the best of me.
  4. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

I understand - was just kidding - I know the drill with dealers. After a while it's almost comical. Cat & Mouse. You may not 'win' very often, but when you do - it makes the experience sweeter.

I let a gun sit on the shelf for 6 months - during that time I bought 5 other Superposed in a 6-week period - in the same shop. I live 15 miles from the shop. I had to walk past that gun I really wanted, every time.

I made one last attempt on #6. I asked for his best price, and he said it was on consignment - there was no room. Yeah, I'd heard that before. So, I said, "it might be worth that one day, but not to me......and not today. I'll pass." He turned as we walked back to the area where he logs his guns in and out, smiled and said, "You might be surprised." Unphased, I just smiled back. I had made my decision based on self-respect. (......speaking of attitude)

I went to Canada for a month. After crossing the border back into cell coverage I checked the gun shop's website to find the gun was marked, 'Sorry, this gun has sold'. I was almost relieved - I could forget about it, now......other than wondering who caved-in to such a price, and what it actually sold for. I knew better than to ask my friend at the gun shop.

One month later, I was recovering from surgery and browsing the Internet sites, starting a database of sales history for Superposed. The day after Christmas, I spotted that gun about 10 minutes after listing on GunBroker at 2/3 the previous asking price.....listed with another dealer. It was within $200 of my valuation for the gun. So, I registered on GunBroker and hit 'Buy-Now' a millisecond after getting my wife's blessing. I guess I caught everybody else in 'Holiday' mode. That was my first lesson in restraint and patience that paid-off.

Of course, I had it transferred through my friend's shop. He tried to justify the obvious (that there was only ‘no room’ on his greedy commission fee), saying the consignee (his client) was a little crazy and that he just couldn’t reason with him. More obvious was the fact that the ‘impatient’ consignee got tired of no movement on his gun and listed it with another dealer at a more realistic value - including a reasonable consignor’s fee. I let him waffle around and didn't say much of anything other than, "Thank You” as I walked out the door. I had made my point.

It is one of the guns featured in the first color photo plates in Schwing, from the Dick Spurzem collection. I called Dick to see if he would offer what he knew about the gun's origin and history because he was good friends with Val Browning. He said he thought I knew more about the gun than he did. High compliment. Dick seemed a little rattled and pre-occupied - had a doctor's appointment that afternoon, so I didn't bother him again. He died a year later.

Sometimes, we pay as much as we have to, to acquire the really exceptional or rare pieces, or those with great provenance.......the hardest valuations are those with little or no known sales history. Other times, you remain patient, rely on your instincts and knowledge of the history, market, and human nature......and hope the stars will align in your favor. I've been VERY blessed. Certain guns find those who are most passionate about the details and history.

Good luck!
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2023