I ain't never heard of one of these......

Discussion in 'Discontinued Browning Models' started by Bill Idaho, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Local gun shop (that has in the past proven fruitful in my never ending Auto5 quest) had a Browning I never even heard of----a "Browning Recoiless". I had to at least hold it and play around with it. Arguably one of the strangest guns I ever looked at. Google it and see for yourself.
    It was like new, unknown exact year---but apparently they were only made for a few years anyway--and priced at $800.

As I have maintained for decades---
    In the past, I have wasted for more money on far stupider things.....

I can't decide if I want it or not.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’ve heard of them. Most guys seem to buy them as curiosities, play with them, then sell them. Unless you’re super recoil sensitive, that’s probably what you’ll do too.
    Hairtrigger likes this.
  3. azgreg

azgreg Copper BB

I am a little late to comment, buy I have one and love it. It is my go to trap gun. If it is in as nice a condition as you say, $800 is not a bad price. I routinely see them selling the $1200-$1500 range. I understand they were somewhere around $2500-$3000 new. Only difficulty will be getting replacement parts if something breaks. Midwest carries a few parts, but there are some things that have been discontinued and they are no longer available.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  4. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Wow!! I was just in that gun shop a few days ago. He still had it, and again, tried to get me to take it home. If I had a choice between a couple of Auto5s, and that---no question in my mind I would take the Auto5s. That's just how I roll.
    The guy told me a bunch of people have picked it up and toyed with it, but the common remark is it is way too complicated.

There's the old saying "It was a good idea, it just didn't work."
  5. azgreg

azgreg Copper BB

I don’t really need another trap gun, but if it’s still there the next time you visit, offer $600. If they say yes, buy it and try it. If you don’t like it, I’ll buy it from you for what you paid plus shipping.
  6. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Thy will be done.
  7. azgreg

azgreg Copper BB

Just got home from my gunsmith. Seeing if he could make a forend hinge for the Recoilless. He didn’t know anything about them, so I asked if he would like to shoot it. He was impressed with the lack of recoil, pretty much like shooting a a 22LR. But they are dedicated trap gun, so if someone doesn’t shoot trap, no point in owning one.
    barrelslime likes this.