Help Identify shotgun Barrel

Discussion in 'Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Trou' started by bucky685, Dec 5, 2012.

1. bucky685

bucky685 Copper BB

I found a Browning 12 ga. shotgun barrel in my basement when we bought our house.
    It is a smooth bore barrel, and has a vented rib along the top.
    The stampings on the barrel include:
    "BROWNING ARMS CO. ST.LOUIS MO"
    "SPECIAL STEEL 12 GA. SHELL 2-3/4"
    "1 kg 160"
    "T 426"
    "PV"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

That's a Browning Belgium A5 barrel. "PV" is a Belgium Liege proofmark. There should be some *'s or -'s or a combination of both stamped on the barrel to designate choke constriction.
  3. bucky685

bucky685 Copper BB

Thank you. I will have to look at it a little closer and see if i can see any other stampings.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Nice "find" bucky !!
  5. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

What's the condition of the barrel? great find!!
  6. bucky685

bucky685 Copper BB

It is in very good condition. It has one area about 8" long where some of the bluing was rubbed off. I guessing from the frame.

It does has "made in belgium" on the opposite side. and it has 12-70 with a circle also. along with what looks like ONE "*"in from of where is says Special steel-12 ga shell - 2-3/4"

Any idea what something like this is worth?
  7. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

"*" is the Browning designation for full choke. Belgium A5 vent. rib barrels can fetch as much as $495 in the right configuration. Depending on condition and choke, typically these Belgium barrels sell in the $350-$450 range, with the vent. rib barrels fetching in the higher end of this range.

Nice find!