Had to try

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Jan 9, 2023.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

recoil likes this.
  2. recoil

recoil .410

Too bad nice engraving. Steve!
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

It’s a 12 gauge! You should have passed that tip on to…me!
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Sorry Rudolph I should have asked you but I assumed you wouldn’t be interested
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Not at that price. And it’s going to cost a lot to have a stock made for it. Besides, you were bidding. I wouldn’t have gotten into a bidding war with you.
  6. Madman

Madman .22LR

The price does seem a bit steep....at least for me. The serial number was 7421 which is only a few away from mine and the one on page 60 of S/V. I seem to see this type of engraving ONLY in the 7000 number serial range. Anybody have any information on the type of engraving or who may have done the work? I wonder if this type of engraving was only done on the first 10,000? Any thoughts?
  7. Biz

Biz 20g

Following S&V the FN contracted local craftsmen to engrave the early example. I have never seen early Brownings signed by an engrave even the one described in their catalogue. I have been researching engraved auto 5 in the western world for over 10 years and the only place I have seen any similar to yours, is in the U.S.
  8. Madman

Madman .22LR

Posted this in another thread but I thought I would add it to this one as well.

"It looks like there is engraved receiver like the one we have been talking about on Gunbroker. The item# is 969512894 and it ends on 2/16. Currently about 2 grand."
    Rudolph31 likes this.