Gun value?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by EastonTexas, Dec 14, 2019.

1. EastonTexas

EastonTexas Copper BB

1923 A5 16 gauge. I was wondering the value in this condition and as far as shooting?

Attached Files:

2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Honest value couple hundred bucks, maybe 300-400. The problem is it’s a 16 gauge and people always want more for them, worth it or not. Ones I’ve seen in pawn shops are over priced and in bad shape. Is it worth it from a financial standpoint.... no, is it worth saving a piece of history from being lost.... he’ll yea. Someone will buy it eventually no matter what price they put on it. If your looking to make money on it.... probably not unless it’s rare. Can it be a great shooter and outlast you.... for sure.
    I have a 1909 that I paid to much for, but it was saved from a butcher job and will be restored back to factory new condition, I just shot it today and it needs some fine tuning, but that fact that it’s 110 years old and still shoots is truly amazing. Know if it’s 2 9/16 or 2 3/4 and what it cost to shoot it. 16 gauge isn’t cheap, however, you only live once and can’t take it with you. I would take it home.
  3. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

In these parts, an A5 (16 gauge) in that condition would bring $300 ---at the most. Closer to $250-275. I find them all the time at local pawn shops for $350, and negotiate from there.
    Many times, the reason they are at gun/pawn shops is because someone found it pretty cheap, bought it thinking it shoots a "regular" 16 gauge, and finds out the hard way it won't.Then after learning how much to convert it.......it ends up at a different pawn shop or gun shop.

(But since I fell into my first straight stock................those look more and more tempting than ever.)

I did notice a couple of oddities in those pictures though. The angle of the butt plate sure looks weird in the first picture. Maybe simply due to the angle the camera is at, but it sure has a serious slope to it. (That would be interesting to shoot!!)
    And I am not familiar with straight stock models in particular (although I do now have one), and I do have a couple A5s that old (early and mid-twenties) , but I see an extra hole next to the hammer spring screw hole underneath on the trigger group tang. Whazzup wit' dat'? I guess I will have top open one of the safes and see if mine have that extra hole.
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

since it’s already been converted to 2-3/4” and both pieces of wood are cracked that’s a $200 gun in my opinion