First time browning in N.AL

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Area' started by EdH, Mar 4, 2013.

1. EdH

EdH Copper BB

Picked up a 1975 308 BLR, my first high power rifle. I was a 20 ga bird hunter and a trapper growing up. My boys are growing up and I wanted a deer rifle. I prefer nice quality, collectible guns, and I just loved the feel, look, and butter-smooth action of this lever. Knew next to nothing about it when I bought it, but knew from blue book that it was worth about what I paid.

Looks like this gun may have been re-blued. It has a matte black finish and I understand they were mfg with gloss finish. Anyone know? The barrel indicates Japan mfg and the s/n ends in "K57", which I have found means 1975, despite browning's page. The trigger is also black (perhaps also blued). I understand the trigger was gold after Belgian mfg, or around 1978. I may repost this on BLR area.

I may eventually add optics. Probably a red dot, as scopes are just kinda wrong on a lever action and get in the way of the hammer. I am finding progressive lenses make iron sight shooting not much fun. An 8 inch group at 50 yards wasn't the gun's fault, I'm sure. I ordered a pair of "double-D" glasses. If that doesn't improve my sight picture, optics it will be.

So, what sort of bases fit this rifle? The top of the receiver is curved and has a pattern of parallel ridge lines running its length. There are two screws aft and two forward. If I go with a red dot mounted up front, can they typically mount to a single weaver style base (about an inch or so long)?

Attached Files:

2. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

Very nice.

Weaver makes a 2-piece base (#54 or #25) to accomodate rings rings from a number of different manufacturers. These mounts have a curved base to accomodate the BLR's receiver. The #54 base has a groove in the center which allows you to sight down the groove in order to use the iron sights if you need to go to them as a backup. I have old style Weaver rings with the knurled thumbscrews which allow me to remove them but I may upgrade someday to a fancier set of QD rings from Leupold or Warne. (Warne also makes a low-mount base that is Weaver-style in design only it's steel.)
  3. EdH

EdH Copper BB

Thanks, Setters4life. I had the 54s in my e-shopping cart, but something I read indicated the 25&54 might be for a flat receiver. Thanks for the confirmation. I made the order and will see how it goes.
  4. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

I have the #25's on mine. Base is low enough and the groove is sufficient for me to see the iron sights if I have to swap over to them.

I found this pick on the internet: #25 on the left, #54 on the right.
    [​IMG]
  5. DHonovich

DHonovich Founder Staff Member Administrator

Welcome to Browning Owners forum! We are glad to have you as part of our growing community. Take some time to familiarize yourself with the various sub-forums and make yourself at home. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask. Please enjoy your stay.
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum !!