Butt plate refurb

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Jan 1, 2022.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Wish I would have taken some before pictures of the plate on the right. It was in worse shape than the one on the left. It was very light in color and dry looking. It also had s few splinters. I carefully wet sanded it with 320 and 400 grit followed by the white scotchbrite pad. I then stained it with Old Masters Espresso stain. Then I gave it a good soak in tung oil . [​IMG]
    Rockher_man, antman73 and Rudolph31 like this.
  2. Biz

Biz 20g

Happy New Year everyone,
    Nice job Justin! Do you think a cotton buffing wheel with some 600 or higher buffing compounds could do the job?
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Happy New Year Marc. Good to see you on here again. Yes a buffing wheel would be ideal but I don’t have any buffing equipment……….yet
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  4. Biz

Biz 20g

Here is my holiday project, my FN Browning. I made the buttstock from the stock you purchased for me. I made the forearm from a piece of European walnut. Since the buttstock and the forearm are not exactly the same color, I am going to bleach them with a mixture of cristal lye and hydrogen peroxide and then stain the pieces the same color.

3D1DB396-B649-4223-ACC5-7417EAB0105D.jpeg
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Good lord you do amazing work. I can’t wait to see how that turns out. That process sounds interesting. I’ve never heard of it
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Happy New Year to you guys!

Very nice work, Justin. If Art’s ever goes out of business I know where to send my shotguns.

Biz, I never heard of that shotgun. Can you give us some more information?
    antman73 and win7stw like this.
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks Rudolph

I believe Marc’s gun is the FN version of the Remington Model 8
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  8. Biz

Biz 20g

It is indeed the FN version of the Remington model 8. It was offered only in 35 Remington. Around 4500 examples produced. It was never marketed in the U.S.. A JMB design that doesn’t appeal to everyone but I love it.

B02D9FB9-CADD-4A94-BA13-F5D57997155C.jpeg
    Rudolph31 and antman73 like this.
  9. antman73

antman73 .410

Learning always around here. Biz that is a pretty cool liking gun. First I've seen. Happy New Year guys.
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Thanks guys. Of course I’ve heard of that rifle. We’ve even discussed the FN1900 before. I thought I was seeing an unusual shotgun.