Browning FN A5 Prototype? Help ID

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by D4Guns, May 31, 2023.

1. D4Guns

D4Guns Copper BB

We have come across something that has us stumped. It is an FN Browning a5 with NO SN. Patent date of Oct. 9.1900 & Dec.17.1901 - Has the early "Suicide Saftey". From what we gather it could be an early prototype MFG in 1902 Before the first official a5 of SN 1 that was MFG in 1903. There are no stampings on the barrel or hidden anywhere under the stock or forend. If anyone has any information on this it would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    DB Williams, win7stw and Rudolph31 like this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Welcome to Browning Owners! I'm not sure you will get a better answer then you got on Shotgun World but looks like you have one of a kind. Have you called and talked to the Browning Historian? This could very well be a prototype. I know the Historian has some old pamphlets and fellow member Biz also has some old catalogs from across the water.
    Last edited: May 31, 2023
    DB Williams and win7stw like this.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Most importantly, when is the auction?
  4. W O W
    DB Williams likes this.
  5. Biz

Biz 20g

That is a very interesting first year example. It could be a prototype but I will tend more towards a demo as the accent seems to be put on the manufacturer "Fabrique Nationale….." The buttstock is not original, the forearm is. One observation, and I am not sure, the font of the markings seems more contemporary then the one used normally by the FN at the time. Is the rear sight mounted on a rampe or the bead is screwed directly on the barrel?
    DB Williams, Rudolph31 and win7stw like this.
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Very nice. Finally a 12 gauge Auto 5 that has my interest
    DB Williams and Rudolph31 like this.
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Did the owner of this piece have any info on it?
    DB Williams likes this.
  8. D4Guns

D4Guns Copper BB

Thank you I will be reaching out to the Browning Historian today and will reply to the post if I find out any information!
  9. D4Guns

D4Guns Copper BB

Thank you! Here is a pic of the bead sight.
    [​IMG]
  10. D4Guns

D4Guns Copper BB

Unfortunately no
    DB Williams likes this.
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Interesting. Here’s a picture of the bead on a new condition first year gun that someone was lucky enough to find. [​IMG]
  12. Fowlgunner

Fowlgunner .22LR

How in the World did you get registered and a post up here so quickly?

Took me 2 months! Lol

Are there any serial numbers on the ramp of the barrel ring, the inside of the forearm, the bottom (rearward inside toward the wood) lip of the trigger group, or any of the bolt components?

Proof marks on the bolt or barrel?

All these things would be common of normal production.

I, like Biz ,suspect there is a much later serial number on the butt-stock and it will be interesting to see if it is hollow as should be or a drilled blind hole as in later years. Removal of the butt plate would probably suffice if you didn't want to take the stock off.

Will
    DB Williams likes this.
  13. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Maybe that was before my time, apology extended. I check these things couple times a day.
    DB Williams likes this.
  14. D4Guns

D4Guns Copper BB

After disassembly, the only stamps present are an "M" on the barrel ring, a "12" and a "0" inside the forend, and a "2" on the trigger. There are no other stamps on the barrel, bolt, trigger assembly, internals. or stock. Including pics below of these markings as well as the disassembled stock.

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  15. Biz

Biz 20g

The shape of the "suicide" safety is not similar to the the ones on my examples. Does the forearm have the same finished then the buttstock? The checkering of the English stock should normally joint underneath of the grip. That is becoming more and more interesting.
  16. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

A couple of observations.

First, the gun has no proof marks. I’m pretty sure they would be required by Belgian law for any firearm.

Second, there’s a hole on the left side of the receiver above the trigger guard that shouldn’t be there.

I’m starting to think this was a “Lunchbox Gun”, taken one piece at a time.
  17. Biz

Biz 20g

They are still a possibility that it a first year prototype. However, we have identified several parts on that shotgun that are different than a factory commercialized first year auto 5. How about as you mentioned a "Lunchbox Gun" assembled from parts that did not conform with factory speciation.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Anything is possible, Biz. If it was a tool room pre-production example, would it have proof marks? That would explain the different shaped safety and likely the hole in the receiver.

D4Guns is in an interesting predicament. They likely have a one of a kind, priceless Auto-5, but with no provenance they can’t sell it for anything near what it’s worth. Probably they should reach out to Anthony Vanderlinden.
  19. D4Guns

D4Guns Copper BB

Thank you to everyone who has commented! We will be continuing to gather information and will update this post when we have more information.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  20. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Guy at factory goes past gate keeper every day at knock off with wheelbarrow full of straw. The wheelbarrow gets searched every time always empty not a thing.
    Guy retires and on last day security guard finally says “I know you have some racket going on” What have you been taking all these years?
    “Wheelbarrows”
    Ranger6, Rudolph31 and win7stw like this.