broken magazine tube at the crimp on UK. guns

Discussion in 'Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Trou' started by Goose, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Goose

Goose .410

[​IMG]
    never come across this before any body else had this problem
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

3. Goose

Goose .410

strange re-uploaded image to thread firearm maintenance modification safety and trouble, under heading broken magazine tube at the crimp on UK. guns, hopefully it is visible now
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Yup...Image visible now !!
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Wow, that tube broke at the cap threads. I would think the threads would strip first. It never occurred to me that the magazine was a stressed part.

In his latest video, Art shows how to replace the mag.

http://www.browningowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/arts-latest-video.5434/

To prevent damage to the receiver he puts an old barrel extension inside. If you don't have one I'd bet a large socket would do, but this repair is above my pay grade...

The Field Service Manual is available for free download here:

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/ctgy/browning-auto-5-field-service-manual
  6. Goose

Goose .410

On UK guns with magazine restriction the tube was crimped, proof marked then re threaded into action with engineers thread lock.
    The magazine tube itself is made from high tensile steel and is more brittle than mild steel.My problem came up trying to undo the broken
    tube.First attempt put drill bit through mag tube then pushed a bar through holes,then heated up tube with gas torch till really hot and tried to
    unwind the tube from the threads.Still stuck nothing budged longer bar made the tube split so this was no red lock-tight.Second go ....cut tube
    near action,cut two groves with hack-saw shallow mind not to touch threads.Into work shop and weld two humps of weld opposite each other
    when cool hit welds with with old chisel and the stump of old tube came away from threads.

The second part of this story to follow
  7. Goose

Goose .410

[​IMG]
    Here is the remnants of the extracted magazine tube ....hardest job ever on any A5 to date
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I forgot that the security of the United Kingdom depends on the mutilation of Auto-5 magazines. Didn't know that it weakened them to that extant. Did the barrel and forearm fly off when it went?
  9. Goose

Goose .410

[​IMG]
    The next job...donor gun,old receiver N0 40356 ex 1962 using this to fix 56935 made in 1963 a skeet gun.The tube already crimped and proofed
    for straight swap .
  10. Goose

Goose .410

11. Goose

Goose .410

[​IMG]
    To remove the donar tube angle grinder straight across then cut the remaining knuckle smaller,then hack-saw cuts down to nearly touching threads.
    A press was then used with a hardened bit to split the metal with-out marking the tube.
  12. Goose

Goose .410

[​IMG]
    Here is home made tap made on lathe browning used finest thread of 1"x32 tpi unified (i think Miroku used 25.4x0.8mm slightly different pitch)
    any way heat/oil hardened it cleaned up the threads a treat.The tube went in nice and i,m back on the skeet.
  13. Goose

Goose .410

[​IMG]
    Here is 1963 skeet, wood from Browning Belgium (told last available from them a couple of years ago now)
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016