auto 5 screw slot file

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Ranger6, Jun 26, 2023.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Anyone know what size screw slot file to use on auto 5? I measured one of art's screw drivers and came up with .035 thick, for the screw. They just happen to have that thickness in a file but thought someone might be able to confirm. Probably need to order a set, but little spendy.
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Why don’t you cram a feeler gauge in one and measure it that way?
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

good idea, now where are the feeler gauges? Those used to be an important tool in my mechanic box years ago. No points to set anymore.
    Auzzie and win7stw like this.
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

You should have a set on your reloading bench if you reload rifle cartridges
    KyBoB likes this.
  5. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

How you supposed to set the tractor magneto without them feeler gauges. The question is Do people actually still know you can hand crank a motor?
    murphranch likes this.
  6. Ranger6

Honestly the last time I set points on a car was in the mid 90's. I was one my way to France, driving from Germany in a 1971 2002 and that damn thing quit on me. Coasted off the autobahn and changed the points right there, always carried a spare set with feeler gauges. Maybe my long-lost gauges are still in the glove box. That was a cool car, wish I still had it.