A5 choke rarity estimates?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by YellowJacket, Dec 3, 2015.

1. YellowJacket

YellowJacket .22LR

Are there any sources available that estimate the rarity of choked on Belgian guns? As in:

30% of Light 12's are Full
    40% are Mod
    20% are IC
    5% are Skeet
    5% are CYL

And is there an estimate on what that does to augment the value? I have KBB but I don't think it makes any mention of choke in its values.

What brings this up is I've found a nice Light 12 that is choked SKEET and they guy is wanting a mint for it. More than I paid for my Sweet 16 or my Light Twenty. He claims it is very rare and I wouldn't be able to disagree bc 95% of the ones I've ever seen are MOD. But I don't know how rare and if it would be worth such a premium...
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Good question. I have never seen a Skeet- choked barrel on an Auto-5, and few marked Improved Cylinder. Cylinder, though scarce, seems more common.

As a collector, I wouldn't pay more for the choke. As a casual Skeet shooter I might -- I plan to take a couple of barrels to Art's to have the chokes opened. Art charges $120 for the service. A serious Skeet shooter wouldn't be using an Auto-5.

The Blue Book can only take you so far. What's the gun worth to YOU?
  3. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

I only use shotguns for squirrels and turkey, so I seek out only FULL choke on Auto 5's. Based on how few Full chokes I see on Gunbroker, I must assume there weren't very many made.

I don't much see a shotgun as a combat weapon, although I own two x-prison shotguns, Remington 870's.