1930 Straight Stock 16

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Apr 20, 2022.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I was able to leave work early today and go pick up my new toy. Thanks to Jta5er I was able to finally snag a nice straight stock in 16. It’s a pretty nice piece. I need to get all the fingerprints off of it and give it a good cleaning. The action is very wet. The forearm isn’t cracked surprisingly. The butt plate has some insect damage and the barrel number doesn’t match the receiver. However I am extremely happy with this purchase. This one is probably going to stay as is and I will hunt with it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    R. MARSHALL, KyBoB and Rudolph31 like this.
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Rudolph will you help me out with the choke? Seller said it’s a full choke but from what I see it’s a .004 constriction which would be skeet according to the charts
  3. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Looks mighty nice, I noticed these straight stock guns look and feel fast. I imagine you have plenty of barrels that fit that one?
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Yes sir. I loaded up a bunch of spreaders over the weekend though. I might put my IC barrel on it and go shoot some 5 stand on Saturday
  5. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

How much does it weigh? Barrel stamp makes me think the barrel is a light one?
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Not sure. I will weigh when I get home from my sons basketball practice. Why do you think it’s a lightweight?
  7. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

It says 0kg 836 lots of barrels say 1kg xxx that weigh a ton. Reg weight barrel around 2.25lbs my lightest 1.9 lbs
  8. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Your barrel only weighed 832 grams the day it was proofed. Pretty light I bet it comes in at 2lbs.
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Now you really have me intrigued. I will weigh and my 1938 sweet and compare
  10. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Very nice sir, I’m jealous for sure.
  11. Biz

Biz 20g

Very nice Justin. Which year? Are you sure there is no more insect in the buttplate?
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks Marc. It is a 1930 receiver with a mismatched 1930 barrel. I’m not sure about the insects. I’ll find out later
  13. Biz

Biz 20g

Just make sure they don’t propagate into your other horn buttplate
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Since Rudolph hasn’t responded what do you guys think this thing is choked?
  15. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Take those numbers and multiply by.04 so
    16.9 x .04= .676 bore size at proof
    16.8x .04= .672 choke
    16.9 and 16.8 is mm so .04 converts to inches
    If I remember right think that’s cylinder
  16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

So that would be .004 constriction?
  17. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

You should definitely measure bore vs choke but it does look like it’s basically a .665 bore choked .04. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the pattern board with that constriction and modern wads. I would think perfect for grouse,woodcock and quail. They are always less than 35 yards and that is probably perfect. I have never handled a skeet choked 16ga a5 barrel, many 12s no 16s.
  18. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Did a little comparison for Jim

1930 barrel weight
    [​IMG]

1930 total gun weight
    [​IMG]

1938 Sweet Sixteen Vent Rib barrel
    [​IMG]

1938 Sweet Sixteen total weight
    [​IMG]
  19. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Barrel is light enough. I would say same weight as most sweet 16ga Matt barrels that I have. My favorite 25.5in sweet barrel weighs the same and I put that one on the latest straight stock. I would venture to guess the previous owner liked the gun that way and ditched the original barrel. Left it in the closet anyway. Very nice gun!
  20. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Will the historian at Browning be able to get a letter for this?