XBolt .270 win (favorite ammo)

Discussion in 'Browning X-Bolt Rifle' started by Txfishhunt, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Txfishhunt

Txfishhunt Copper BB

Happy 4th!
    I have a new XBolt and starting to break the barrel in. I’ve been shooting some 140 gr SSTs Hornady superformance and having some inconsistency. Seems like my groups are coming together the more rounds I’ve put thru it. I have been letting the barrel cool between 3 shots. What are y’all guys been throwing out of you . 270 x bolts?
  2. I have a few Browning X Bolts. None unfortunately for this question are .270. I have a Winchester Model 70 and have only sighted it in, with the exact ammo you are trying and it is running well under MOA. My X Bolts are all .243 and I always use Hornady Whitetail for initial sight in. Why? Inexpensive and very accurate. The SST Hornady is one cartridge type I would bet on. The Whitetail in each caliber only comes in one weight and the groups from initial sightin to present are all legendary accuracy. For what it is worth I have tried Winchester, Hornady in SST, Federal and all incredibly tight groups. I rarely hear of such consistency but I am getting it. I have been around guys at the ranges and seen them shooting X Bolts and their accuracy is simply amazing. These are Calwell Lead Sled shots at known distances. I conclude the X Bolts in calibers from 22-250 to 7 Remington Magnum is about as good as you can get. Only bench rest competitors could require such accuracy. Some of these guys reload, others test the leading brands. My conclusion is X Bolts are a very accurate rifle. To come back to Hornady SST they seem very dependable. But even the modest priced Hornady Whitetail Have sure impressed me. I am not sure which X Bolt you are using. From Medalion to X Bolt Pro I am always really impressed with what a great rifle they are. I like the wood stocked Maple and have seen Target Barrel Eclipse thumbhole Models with the Black Laminate Stock that are competition good bets.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  3. My 308 shoots Federal Fusion 150 grain MOA at 100 yards .
  4. Dennis Gilliam

Dennis Gilliam Copper BB

Just curious about any updates on ammo performance for the XBolt in 270 Win? I just purchased the Western Hunter A-Tacs AU and am about to begin the process of sighting in for a mule deer hunt in Nov. 2020.

My initial thoughts are: Hornady ELD-X in 145gr or Hornady GMX in 130 gr. I'll probably pick up a box of each to begin, but then order a case. Any thoughts would be appreciated.