X-Bolt Hells Canyon Accuracy

Discussion in 'Browning X-Bolt Rifle' started by Stewart Brooks, Jul 25, 2022.

1. Stewart Brooks

Stewart Brooks Copper BB

I purchased a 300-win.mag. X-Bolt Hells Canyon Long Range in June of 2019. I mounted a Vortex Viper scope with Talley rings. I have tried numerous different weight and manufacture of ammunition. I have shot approximately 160 to 180 rounds through the rifle and the best performance I have achieved is a 1” group at 100 yards using Browning LRP ammunition. I would expect a rifle at this price point to be able to shoot a 1” group with any factory ammo and be less than 1” with premium ammo.

Am I being unrealistic with my expectation for this rifle? Is a 1” group all this rifle is capable of? Is there any thing I could try?
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

What I’m seeing from most people is no less then .83” at 100 yards. That’s pretty close to where your at.
    I know lots of people that want better groups but that is plenty good for a hunting riffle in my opinion. Probably not what you wanna hear, but…
    Have you tried Hornady ammo or reloads? What does it do at 300-500 yards?
  3. Stewart Brooks

Stewart Brooks Copper BB

I have tried the hornady precision 200 gr. ELD-X with less than optimal results. You are correct that this is a hunting rifle, I just expected more. I have taken a nice mule deer with it and hope to take an aoudad in September.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Sounds like it works, but I agree it should do better then that. Have you tried lighter bullets?
  5. Stewart Brooks

Stewart Brooks Copper BB

I've tried only one box of 150gr. to break the rifle in. All others have been 180, 195 and 200gr. I'm going to try some 185 and 190gr. Federal premiums this week.
  6. Ranger6

How did the 150 do during break in? What’s the twist rate?
  7. Stewart Brooks

Stewart Brooks Copper BB

I don't recall but I'm thinking around 1.5". The twist rate is 1-8.
  8. Ranger6

so, it should like the heavier bullet. Do you clean the barrel after trying a new round? Maybe you could let someone else shoot it and see if they have the same results, I'm not implying anything here, just a sure way to rule out a flinch or something else that you may not be aware of. The 300 is a pretty big punch and after repeated shooting can cause a flinch without you knowing it. Please don't take offense, it's not meant as an insult.
  9. Stewart Brooks

Stewart Brooks Copper BB

No offense taken at all. I am actually going to have a friend try it at the range this week. I only clean the rifle after 30 or 40 rounds except for break in. I cleaned it every five shots for twenty rounds.
  10. Ranger6

sounds good. Keep us posted.