Wood Refinishing Projects

Discussion in 'Browning Citori Shotgun' started by rcatastrophe, Dec 10, 2021.

1. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Set about taking this forearm apart because I want to refinish it in something other than the shiny plastic-like finish it’s wearing now. Once I remove the three screws should it just lift/slide out or are those springs I see going to cause a problem?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. murphranch

murphranch .410

After you get the screws out pull it towards the back of the forearm, not straight up and you'll be good

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
  3. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Thanks murphranch. Your comment was what I needed. When I see springs I always worry they’re gonna fly off everywhere. Stripping has begun. That finish is tough but but it’s coming off. Just put in another coat of stripper to go overnight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Observations. The butt and fore end wood seem to be coated differently or maybe the same but thicker on the front. After applying stripper to both the finish was softened on the buttstock allowing me to slide an exacto blade under and lift small sections at a time. Took all day and a few movies but it’s finished. The front end was a different story. The finish seems impenetrable. Finally tonight I tried a 4th time but this time I made a trip to CVS and got a heating pad. After 3 cycles at 140° it softened up and I was able to scrape it off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

murphranch likes this.
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Nice write up buddy. Keep the pictures coming. What are you going back with? One of these days I hope to try to learn to do some checkering.
  6. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

I’ll continue to document this project. I know I’ll be going back with oil and likely the same Pro Custom that I’ve been using on the Auto 5 wood. Trying to prep these pieces the best I can. I’ve learned enough by now that any imperfection left overlooked in prep haunts me later. Putting on the oil is the easy part, the works in the prep. Current dilemma is residue from the old finish that is left behind in the open grain. Lots of tiny little white dashes that I fear will show through the oil I rub. The look I’m going for is like whats on my Superlight Feather, a satiny non-shiny oil finish with open grain.

7. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Justin and I were just talking about stock finishes. I’m doing a Stevens stock with timberluxe and it’s to shiny. I like the dull(satin) look also. I applied some stain over it tonight, so we will see tomorrow how it looks. You got a pic of a stock with the pro custom? I’m thinking I should have went with tung or danish oil.
  8. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Did a bit of detail work. Took my blade to several areas and particularly one rather large “crease-dent” where this gun looks to have come into contact with a sharp edge. The original finish had been pushed down and into the sharp crease. I was able to dig it all out. I’m gonna fill that with clear epoxy and pretend the blemish is just some figure. One thing I’m struggling with is should I use stain or just go with the oil. The oil has some tint to it so I know the finished product will be a little darker. To get a preview i rubbed on some mineral spirits and took a quick picture, racing against the super fast evaporation. I think I like the way this looks without any stain, opinions?

[​IMG]

9. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Here’s that dent

[​IMG]

10. Ranger6

When finished, it should cover well. For me, I tend to like a darker wood. Alot depends on the color of the receiver, I would need to see it next to it, to make a decision.
    I was in the same hole last night with the stevens stock, wanted darker, but not to dark. I applied the timberluxe stain and it looked way better (to me). I will say the stain made the little imperfections stand out more, however, I had a problem filling the pores the first couple of coats of timberluxe,( not much slurry) but after the stain dried, I hit it will 400 grit sandpaper, the slurry just started forming and made the grain much easier to fill. The forearm looked good this morning, so now back to the question, do I stain again or go back with timberluxe and then stain, like before.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  11. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Here’s the color I’m shooting for, couldn’t get the light just right but you can see it.

[​IMG]

And here is what it looks like, wet with a dab of mineral spirits. I look a couple shades light. I may need to put on a layer of dark walnut.

[​IMG]

12. Ranger6

I agree to light. It will look great darker, against that receiver.
  13. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Applied a coat of dark walnut stain. I like this a lot better. I think this gets me right where I wanted to be.

[​IMG]

14. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

And the buttstock…yeah this a lot better

[​IMG]

15. Ranger6

That looks way better to me, but I like dark wood.
  16. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Yeah I’m liking it too. A lot. It’s a million times better than that thick plastic that was on there, here’s how she’s looking after a second session of oil rubbin’ I’m thinking the finished product is going to make all the work getting that original finish off worth it.

[​IMG]

Figured since it’s taken apart anyway I spent some time yesterday cleaning the gun part. It’s a 2006 model so it was a little dirty on the inside. Here’s after…

[​IMG]

17. Ranger6

Looks good. Definitely like the darker color. That receiver looks pretty clean. I’m sure you will get many more years out of it.
    Think we need a new topic for wood finishes. Would be nice to have a reference of what was used and what it looks like. I know someone else is working on a set of wood also.
  18. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

How would we suggest that? I think it’s a great idea. We could copy, or migrate, all the existing wood refinishing threads to it and others could use it as a reference.

So far on this one I stripped them with Jasco Premium Paint & Epoxy Remover, an old can from pre 2019 before they took the methylene chloride out of everything.

The butt stock was quicker, I think it took two goes. The front, even after three tries, wasn’t coming off. It only worked after I bought a heating pad, wrapped up, and ran it through a few cycles at 140°. Even them it was only softened up and took an exacto blade to get under it and gently work it off.

Once that was done I used hot water, Dawn soap, and a toothbrush to scrub the heck out of it. After drying I hit it with 180 grit sandpaper to get rid of whatever finish was left and then a final sanding with 800. It’s so smooth. Used Varathane classic stain in dark walnut and once that dried I started with the Pro Custom. Not sure how many coats I’ll use but once they’re on I’ll let it set for 2-3 weeks before breaking the gloss with pumice at 3F, 4F, and then Rottenstone. We’ll see how it turns out. The look I’m going for is like the oil finish on my Superlight Feather, an oil finish that’s thin enough that there’s still some open pores. There’s only a small bit of gloss to it.

19. Ranger6

The only one that can move stuff or create a new section is Ripjack13. I haven’t talk to him in awhile, probably the easiest thing is for you to edit your thread title and we can add to it, or start a new thread. If you open a new thread you will have to re type a lot, but it’s up to you. Some people get their panties in a wad if you add content to their thread, but for me it doesn’t matter. That’s why we are are here. You decide and I will post some of my stock with timberluxe.
  20. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Done! Forearm Latch Removal is now officially named a wood refinishing project.