UPDATE on Browning 1911-22 with fiber optic sights

Discussion in 'Browning 1911-22 Handgun' started by ShooterGranny, Dec 12, 2018.

1. ShooterGranny

ShooterGranny .270 WIN

So, as stated in my original post, Browning did finally respond to my email contact to them through their web site and sent me a prepaid return label. I immediately packaged the gun with detailed write up and target pictures and sent it to them.

I received an acknowledgement on November 8 that they had received my gun.

And there it sat......................For a full month.

But finally it was assigned to a gunsmith, and finally I saw in their on line progress tracking system that the work was completed as follows: Recalibrated barrel. Then it sat for another few days to be checked and then they actually sent the gun back to me!!!!! I received it today, December 12th. From other threads I've read on this forum I guess this is good service from Browning.

In the box was a target with a decent pattern in the middle of the bullseye. It was marked as having been shot at 50 feet. I had to laugh, because there were five shots in that slightly loose group plus ONE that just nicked the bottom of the piece of paper! Yep, a flyer. That proves it was shot by a person and not from a ransom rest and I thought that was good. BUT I had to take it to the range to prove that they actually did "recalibrate" the barrel, whatever that means.

It is a very cold, nasty, windy day, so I only shot two magazines and did not shoot from very far away - about 4 or 5 yards only. But I did what I needed to do and verified that indeed, the gun now shots to point of aim! I know that I would not get as good a group at 50 feet as the person who shot it as the repair shop but that's OK.

My husband had moved the rear sight way left to correct the fact that the gun was also shooting close to 3" right and Browning did not move the rear sight back to center, but worked the barrel so the shots would be at point of aim with the sights aligned as they were when I sent it back. I guess that is OK. It is OK because it now does not shoot too high or too far right. The rest will be up to me.

NOW I need to find fatter grip panels for it so I can get a better two handed grip. That grip is SO SKINNY! The grip is even smaller than the grips on my two P238's which are even smaller 1911 style guns.

But my problem with the gun shooting so high seems to have been fixed and I'm as content as I can be, given the circumstances. The trigger is still pretty crappy, but I'm not paying extra money to try to have that smoothed out and lightened. This gun will not get the range use that my other .22's get, that's for sure, but I will continue to shoot it because I paid so much for it.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    cupton likes this.
  2. cupton

cupton .410

Glad they finally took care of you and you are happy with the resolution. I sent mine in because the slide stop notch was showing some unusual wear after about 200 rounds and they ended up replacing the entire pistol for me. They took care of me rather quickly so I was happy.