Sweet 16 Recoil Question

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by JamesGR, Jan 18, 2023.

1. JamesGR

JamesGR Copper BB

New member and first post.
    I have a Sweet 16 from 1971. It has a new recoil spring, action spring and bronze friction piece. I cleaned the magazine tube with solvent and set the friction ring as the diagram in Ranger6's post.
    I'm using Estate 1oz. #6 shot, velocity on the box is 1165fps just to test recoil.
    The question is: should I be able to feel the barrel move (pogo effect) during recoil???
    At this time I can't tell there is any pogo type movement. So, I'm concerned the bolt is hitting the back of the receiver to hard.
    Thanks for the help
    James
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Yes, I can feel the barrel move back and forth. Actually, I can hear it, but not all folks will be able to do that. I would oil it correctly and set it on the heavy setting. Does it cycle? If so, then leave it alone and have fun. If it doesn't, then switch to the light setting, try again. If it cycles but you feel the recoil is too heavy, then you will have to go back to the heavy setting with a little more oil (30 weight). You want the most friction, least amount of recoil to cycle the gun.
    recoil, win7stw and Rudolph31 like this.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Welcome to the forum also.
  4. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

You might consider switching out the action spring--that's the one inside the butt stock. It takes about 10 minutes to change. The possibility of your breech block (every other gun manufacturer calls that part a "Bolt", but I digress....) damaging your receiver can be attributed to the action spring not having enough resistance to prohibit the breech block from flying back too hard. Cheap and easy insurance.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Bill, he already did that.

I don’t think the OP needs to worry. Not everyone feels a big difference when shooting an Auto-5. I don’t, it just feels normal. So long as he heeds Ranger’s advice he’ll be fine.
    win7stw and Ranger6 like this.
  6. JamesGR

JamesGR Copper BB

Thank y'all for the advise. Weather permitting I'll try the magnum setting next week. I'll keep y'all posted on the results. I'll try this on all of my Browning A-5's. I have four: a Light Twelve Invector choke from Japan; a Light Twelve fixed choke from Japan; Belgium Sweet Sixteen; and a Belgium Magnum Twenty.
    James