sight picture

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by recoil, Jul 27, 2022.

1. recoil

recoil .410

New to auto 5s should the top of the action be level with the barrel rib mine seems to rise a bit the barrel that is, I put a straight edge on the rib and there is a gap of about 1/16th at the front of the action. I hope I have not confused any body. thanks Steve!
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

seems pretty normal as you describe. Never checked one with a straight edge, but as long as you can see down the barrel, I would say your good to go. Some of the old ones don't even have a rib. How does she shoot?
    recoil likes this.
  3. recoil

recoil .410

The gun shoots good about 60/40 with trap loads,its a 20 gauge got it for grouse nice and light to carry around. it is a Japan model 1979 made 2/34 " chamber modified choke fixed and I do like the way they are made no plastic,just wood and steel. I am kind of old school though walnut and steel for me. Thanks for your reply. Steve
  4. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

The barrel moves as you shoot so rib lowers (shorter) near action so the receiver isn’t destroyed when barrel slides back 3inchs.
    recoil and Ranger6 like this.
  5. recoil

recoil .410

Yes I do understand that perhaps I was not very clear, with a straight edge along the barrel rib and along the action top there is a gap at the front of the action under the straight edge so the barrel is pointing upwardes, I do not mean the first 3" or so of the rib, I am having a hard time trying to explain. Thanks for all your replies anyway. Steve!
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I think Jta5er hit the nail on the head, but a picture of what you're talking about would clear up everyone's confusion. If you have a problem with pictures, just ask and we can get you fixed up
  7. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Here is the classic a5 rib profile
    [​IMG]
    Ranger6 likes this.
  8. recoil

recoil .410

I think I am being a pain in the a------ to you people,Let me try this if you line your eye up with the top of the action sight along the top should you see just the bead or the rib slanting up. Steve!
  9. Ranger6

Not to confuse you anymore, but I don't see either when shooting. Now if I aim it like a riffle then when my check is against the stock you should have a straight line of sight to the front bead. I hope that helps
  10. recoil

recoil .410

Yes that dose help, I do understand not seeing the bead when you are shooting I am the same. so when I sight it like a rifle I can see the rib slanting up to the bead so my barrel is sloping up a little, not that I care was just wondering . I have a benelli legacy that when I put a straight edge along the top of the rib it is perfectly flat all the way out to the bead. thank you for your help. I do like this forum. Steve!
  11. Ranger6

remember the barrel moves and lots has changed in the last 100 years. Some guys don't like the auto 5 because one they can't get used to the long recoil and the other is that humpback. I'm glad you like the forum. There will hopefully be some changes in the near future., and we can grow. You got any ideas don't hesitate to share with me and I will see what I can do.
  12. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Better show us a pic of your gun from the side with rib in picture. There were many after market ribs installed by lots of different levels of gun makers over the years. A browning rib should be shaped like the one in the pic above. They made solid ones the same shape. Your not annoying me at all. If you have a true browning rib and you see lots of rib in your sight pic your gun doesn’t fit you. You should see bead and only top of rib if any. Now on a Benelli the rib is in your face.
  13. recoil

recoil .410

I think you are right. about the gun not fitting me well, The gun is original not a hack job, I will try and put a picture up later today if I can not to computer savvy I am old and like a dinosaur.
    I did not understand what you meant about the benelli rib being in my face. thanks Steve!
  14. recoil

recoil .410

I tried to post a picture and all I keep getting is, The following error occurred: The upload file does not have an allowed extension.
    Ranger you asked me for any ideas well there is one it is about posting pictures. I am on other forums and you just slide and drop in the box and there it is sized and put in the box for you. Now I am not complaining at all it is probably just me not knowing how to do it, I see that jta5er can post good pictures so it has to be me. Steve!
  15. Ranger6

Steve: Let me try and help you out. Let me tell you it use to be way different and plain sucked to put pictures up. Now it's fairly simple once you do it once. So here we go. On the bottom right there should be a box that says upload a file.
    click that.....
    Then it will open a box that says choose file.
    click that choose file. It will open up a file (hopefully where you keep your pictures). If not, then just find your picture file and click that. Then scroll through until you find the picture you want. click the picture you want to post. give it a minute to load. Some pictures are to big and you will get an error but let's leave that alone for now. Then once its loaded you will see it in your post, but it will be small. Then click post. your done
    If that doesn't work give me a call 832-909-9904. I can talk you though it
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
    KyBoB likes this.
  16. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

[​IMG]
    look at this rib step up. That’s why you can buy a sbe3 cheaper than a sbe from 20 plus years ago Nib. I think the original brownings were meant to throw 60/40.
  17. recoil

recoil .410

jta5er
    Ok I see what you mean about the rib in your face, but my benelli legacy has a flat rib level with the action, if I could post pictures I could sort this all out, buy the way I do like your pictures very clear. I could only wish. Steve!
  18. recoil

recoil .410

D4308328-4303-4F18-9906-E910A6133A52.jpeg
    Test
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2022
    Ranger6 likes this.
  19. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Jta5er is right. The rib is designed like that so there is room for the barrel to slide inside the receiver during ejection
  20. Ranger6

79881A74-AE7A-47F3-9A76-A31AEA27906C.jpeg
    Per our conversation today.