SA-22 Serial Number Question???

Discussion in 'Browning Semi-Auto 22 Rifle' started by huskerbob, Jul 13, 2019.

1. huskerbob

huskerbob .410

He's new to the job. Just took over this past Monday. He said he spends about 80% of his time in Customer Service and 20% as the historian, at least for now. I think he's excited about his new job and was happy to have something with a "twist" to work on right out of the chute. The guy he replaces had 40 years of experience, which he lacks. But I'm hoping he'll make up for it with enthusiasm and curiosity!!!
  2. huskerbob

huskerbob .410

Final Chapter.................

I just got off the phone with Ryan Skidmore, Historian at Browning. When I first spoke with him in early October, he said he would go to work and try and figure out why my Belgian-made SA-22 has two ‘serial numbers’. True to his word, he called me back today!

His research revealed it was not unusual for SA-22's made during that period (mine was built in 1959) to have two numbers. One on the Magazine Strike Plate and one engraved on the face of the receiver. He said his research did not reveal any reason for the two numbers and there is obviously no one left at Browning who might be able to answer that question. That mystery will have to go unanswered.

He researched both of the numbers on my SA-22 and found:

The number on the Strike Plates traces back to an invoice showing the gun was originally sold to Carpenter Seed Company in Odgen, UT. in 1962. That information jives with what the original owned told the dealer who he sold it to and that's the dealer who subsequently sold the gun to me.

He was, as I mentioned previously, was unable to explain the number engraved on the face of the receiver. He said his search of that number showed no SA-22's built in 1959 carried that as an 'official' S/N.

So the bottom line is...................the number on the Magazine Strike Plate is the 'official' S/N, at least on my gun and most likely on all SA-22's that carry a dual number.

I asked for a copy of the original invoice but he said the Browning Legal Department will not allow those records to be released. I did go ahead and purchase an official "Browning Letter" to document the S/N. I asked him to include in the letter, the fact that the 'receiver S/N' does not trace back to any other SA-22 built in 1959.

When the rifle makes it way to its next caretaker the letter will go with it.

It may not be the entire story, but I suspect it the most complete story I’ll ever have.....................

Bob
    dred and Rudolph31 like this.
  3. woodsltc

woodsltc Copper BB

Bob, thanks for your research ...... at least now we can feel at ease that our rifles are complete as they came from Browning. This may also help a few others that have similar guns with 2 numbers. I may get my own letter on my Dad's gun.

Best Regards,
    Don