Restoring Grade III & IV Auto 5’s

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Lonesome3, Apr 28, 2023.

1. Lonesome3

Lonesome3 Copper BB

I’m thrilled to finally find a grade IV to complete my collection. Now I need a little input on if I should just love them for what they are or to have them restored.

My grade IV (1926 16 gauge) is missing most bluing on top of the receiver, the forearm is cracked, the stock is shortened, it has a rubber butt pad, and it has a Polychoke. Is it worth having it reblued, Polychoke cut off, and a new stock made?

My grade III (1925 standard 12) has beautiful numbers matching wood and the original cylinder barrel is shortened with a Cutts added. I have picked up two unmolested (full & cylinder) solid rib barrels. The bluing is definitely thin at best with a little surface rust on the tang. I suspect that this is a Felix Funken engraved gun and am waiting on confirmation from an expert. Is an unrestored Funken is worth more since it proves that the signature was not added at a later date? I’m leaning toward just having Art’s do a mechanical restoration and then to just keep on shooting it as is.

What do you guys think I should do?

upload_2023-4-28_18-7-7.jpeg upload_2023-4-28_18-7-7.jpeg

Jake
    DB Williams and win7stw like this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Welcome sir, nice collection.
  3. Biz

Biz 20g

Hello Jake,
    Congratulations for your finds. I especially like the way the engraving is done on your grade 3. The engraving seems very deep it’s look the engraver lowered the surrounding of the animals motives a bit like "fond creux". An enlargement of the engraving would be nice to see.
    As a collector, if they were mine, I would take several pics of the state they are now. I will change the doubtful parts, keep them for reference and have the gun fully restored. But here is the tricky part. In order to keep the authenticity of the restoration, I would do business with someone that can guarantee me that he will respect the bluing and the wood finishing techniques used at that period. I sincerely believe it is wasting of valuable restoration potential to do salt bluing and high luster varnish on your jewels.
    Auzzie and Rudolph31 like this.
  4. Lonesome3

Lonesome3 Copper BB

Here are a couple other pics of my grade III. I believe there is a F. F. below the mag cutoff. Was the pistol grip stock with a horn cap an option in 1925?

upload_2023-4-28_21-34-20.jpeg upload_2023-4-28_21-34-20.jpeg upload_2023-4-28_21-34-20.jpeg upload_2023-4-28_21-34-20.jpeg upload_2023-4-28_21-34-20.jpeg upload_2023-4-28_21-33-3.png upload_2023-4-28_21-34-20.jpeg upload_2023-4-28_21-34-20.jpeg upload_2023-4-28_21-34-20.jpeg upload_2023-4-28_21-34-20.jpeg upload_2023-4-28_21-34-20.jpeg

My grade IV has a safety that I’ve not seen before. Is it factory or aftermarket?

upload_2023-4-28_21-33-3.png

Thanks,
    Jake
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I am jealous, those are beautiful. The pistol grip stock was a special order option. The safety I believe is an aftermarket
  6. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Nice Guns you have there. As said I would do lot or research on who you get to do the work first. Really cool and rare examples like you have there can easily be de valued or irreversible damaged by the wrong set of hands and the wrong processes.
    Read some posts by a guy on here goes by Anatidae , and what lengths he has had to go to unravel some bad restoration practices and experiences.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  7. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I own about 35 A5s, have enough parts to probably put together another three or four, have been to a Rose Bowl parade, both ends of the continental US, Mardi Gras, and grew up on the south side of Chicago-----------------------------And I have NEVER seen a safety like that!!!!!!!