Quiz

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Biz, Apr 24, 2023.

1. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The barrel has a 1968 date code. Miroku wasn’t in the picture yet. I don’t think there are any references to serial numbers with a letter suffix.

Also, that gun has its own thread.
  2. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Well that would date it. Thanks. I haven’t been surfing the a5 stuff much so I missed that one. Kinda fell in love with my early straight 16 and quit looking. Such great guns hard to beat!
  3. Biz

Biz 20g

I never seen that before, was it commun in the U.S.?
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

If I recall correctly, the bust of JMB and the St. Louis address became standard in 1935 on Browning imports, and standard engraving in 1938. So there’s just a few years of these guns.
  5. Biz

Biz 20g

I checked in the Bible but didn’t see anything about that, or I overlooked??
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

This is from my notes, but somewhere in the book it says that circa 1934 the receiver address changed for Browning imports to St Louis address and the JMB bust added. My notes also say that I’d seen a 1932 gun with those markings.

Elsewhere in the book it talks about engraving, and that by 1938 the Grade 2 was no longer offered, having been replaced with Conventional Leaf Engraving on the Grade 1.
  7. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Are there any pictures? Reason I ask: have seen 1929 gun that is clearly a grade II, sold in 1934 as grade I per browning documents.
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Not in my notes! But later I may go leafing through The Book.

As to your Grade 2 listed as a Grade 1 by Browning, I think the problem is with the historian and the records there in Utah. Or possibly by the dealer putting the wrong information on the sales slip.

But post pictures of your shotgun, Ranger. I suppose that during the Great Depression sales were slow, so it took 3 years to sell.
  9. Biz

Biz 20g

Thanks for the precision. I was hoping not to find much information as then it will be rare and a potential collector’s item.
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Biz, my comments apply to US imports only. Your gun is world market and has its own rules. I’ve seen some like yours that GI’s bought in a PX overseas. But never one so early.
  11. Biz

Biz 20g

Rudolph, my comments was directed at US imports.