Point of Aim/Impact

Discussion in 'Browning 1911 - 380 Handgun' started by JimCunn, Apr 15, 2023.

1. JimCunn

JimCunn .410

"I usually shoot pistols at 25 yards to 100 feet, but I plan to give one of my 1911-380/22s to my daughter, and my uneducated guess is that 25 feet would be a good average distance for her.

With its 380 slide, this gun was shooting about 15"-18" low at 100 feet and an undetermined distance left. I've now reduced the vertical deviation between point of aim and average point of impact to 0.04" at 25 feet and the horizontal deviation to 1.25" left at 25 feet (I'm not sure if that horizontal deviation is the gun, or me). I'm going to shoot it again before adjusting the rear sight horizontally. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

My initial thought is that a gun that shoots low is easy to fix. As for drifting the rear sight, I think you should see how the gun shoots for her before you start banging on it.
    ShooterGranny and JimCunn like this.
  3. JimCunn

JimCunn .410

"My initial thought is that a gun that shoots low is easy to fix.".

That's true, I already fixed that.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I also think if it is to go to your daughter you should spend some time at the range with her. Once you see how she shoots then make corrections either with her or the gun, or both. I would start her out close to build some confidence and let her decide when it's time to move when she is comfortable.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
  5. JimCunn

JimCunn .410

In the 70+ years I've been shooting, I've never used a range. Not really familiar with them or their procedures.
    Is it acceptable to take her to the farm instead?
    Far more convenient and not as many distractions.

I strongly agree about close - that's why I sighted the pistol for 25 feet.
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Yea I think the farm would work, wish I had one of those, I would build my own skeet field.
  7. JimCunn

JimCunn .410

Belongs to a friend. It's where I taught my grandson to shoot and drive, and shortly, to fly.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
  8. Ranger6

Very nice. I use to have a good place, but he passed away some years ago, none of his kids care for our activities and want nothing to do with it. Sad day, but it must all come to an end.
  9. JimCunn

JimCunn .410

Passing it on to the next generation suffices.
  10. ShooterGranny

ShooterGranny .270 WIN

In my book, a place that is set up with a berm and targets is a range - indoor, outdoor, farm, whatever. My opinion.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  11. JimCunn

JimCunn .410

Don't have a berm; do have a hill, some steel targets, and some woods. We just avoid shooting at the hangar or airplane.
  12. ShooterGranny

ShooterGranny .270 WIN

Again, as I see it - a hill = a berm if it is high enough (more than 7 feet high).
  13. Ranger6

Airplane too, sounds like my kind of place. I think I could get her in the air, no so much on sitting her back down. I agree with shooter granny a hill works. When I was a kid my grandparents had a lake on property. I probably put enough lead in there to kill a horse. It was great for shooing riffle against the far bank.
  14. JimCunn

JimCunn .410

I know the feeling.....
  15. JimCunn

JimCunn .410

I know the feeling....
    Wish I could post a photo of my son-in-law's first airplane ride.
    1946 Piper J3C.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  16. Ranger6

Why can’t you? If it’s due to the photo issue here then send it to me and I will post. If you need my email send me a PM
  17. Ranger6

Pictures uploaded for member Mr. Cunn.
    [​IMG]
  18. Ranger6

19. Ranger6

20. Ranger6

Very nice Sir, sure wish I could fly that bad boy. I bet fellow member Rudolph31 would be able to take her for a spin.
    ShooterGranny and Rudolph31 like this.