PICTURES 1924 16 Gauge

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Rudolph31, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Cool. Are you in the business or a hobbyist?

By the way, although I try to store my shotguns muzzle down, I also mostly use grease because it doesn't run. Especially on the ones in the display case.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    PJS, Goose and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Goose

Goose .410

my dream cabinet where's this Heaven
  3. Goose

Goose .410

Macon wood cut to length Lop 15" and to be colored with English red for a traditional British look....i know its not the norm but i want to make my own take on legend.
    it will be 15 coats to bring the walnut up standard watch this space[​IMG] [​IMG]
    SHOOTER13 and Rudolph31 like this.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Proof marks. Some of these are different than those found on guns made a few years later. The diamond with the 16 C was only applied to guns proofed with black powder. It was also proofed with smokeless as the PV (poudre vive) attests. The D=65/19.0 is the length and diameter of the chamber. Later guns are marked 16-65 or 16-70. P.O.K 817.2 is Poids (weight) Zero Kilograms 817.2 grams. I've found that that's the weight before they attached the barrel extension.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    PJS, Goose and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

When Browning restarted importing the Auto-5, the first arrivals were pretty much "off the rack" World Market guns. The FN butt plate, and sling swivels -- rare on U.S. guns, are pretty much standard "over there".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    But a few accommodations were made. Browning's Ogden, Utah address appears on the barrel, as does "SPECIAL STEEL" in lieu of "ACIER SPECIAL".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    PJS and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Before WWII the fired length of a 16 gauge shell was 2 9/16" or 65mm. After the war 2 3/4" or 70mm became the norm. The pre-war Auto-5 16's were chambered for the 65mm shell. You can tell at a glance by the amount of the barrel extension visible at the front of the receiver.
    [​IMG]

Converting for the longer shell requires a lot more work than just reaming the chamber. I like my older guns original and don't mind hand loading for them.
    1 person likes this.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Here's a similar shot of a gun with a 70mm chamber.
    [​IMG]
    SHOOTER13 and Wingman like this.
  8. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

Beautiful looking gun.
  9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Just awesome...!!
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Since the barrel reciprocates on an Auto-5, the stroke had to be lengthened for the longer shell. The difference of 3/16" was split -- the barrel was moved 3/32" further forward, and a moveable ejector was fitted to the barrel extension. You can see the channel it rides in photo above.

In this picture the fixed ejector of the short-chambered 16 is visible.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

[​IMG]
    Goose and SHOOTER13 like this.
  12. Goose

Goose .410

Interesting to see a picture of a 16 gauge showing the magazine cut off screw sitting right on the edge of the receiver.Very nice browning by the way.
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Thank you, Goose. JMB's philosophy was the only reason to shoot a smaller cartridge is to carry a lighter gun. So the 16 is not just a scaled-down 12 but an Auto-5 redesigned to be as light as possible. The receiver is shorter, putting the cutoff screw at the very front.

It's interesting that Browning gave up on making a 20 gauge version when he couldn't make it appreciably lighter than the 16. 50 years later, when a 20 finally came out, it used the 16's receiver.
  14. Goose

Goose .410

I want a 20 bore because of the lighter feel ,for some strange reason i'm getting into the smaller bores been using a 28 bore Perazzi and also shot a 24 bore french side-by-side but the ammo is so scarce here can't really say if they out perform the 20 bore and the 16 is close to the 12 got a funny feeling need to keep some of each now.
  15. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Bumped to the top.
  16. Steve8285

Steve8285 Copper BB

Awesome gun....thanks for sharing.
  17. Nick Xavier

Nick Xavier Copper BB

Rudolph31, that is the most beautiful specimen I think I've ever seen. Thank you for sharing. I'm a new member here but have carried my late grandfathers 1957 sweet sixteen for many, many years. She's a beauty too.
    But, the reason I write you is that last night I rescued what I believe to be a '24 16 from the used rack at my local Cabelas. She shows her age but I couldn't let her pass by. According to the research I've done on the sites that everyone recommends, my best guess is a '24 receiver and a '26 proofed barrel (showing a cursive "e").
    Would this timeline make any sense? Sorry I'm not very familiar with the pre-war ones. I can't wait to learn more for y'all. And thank you again for sharing, she's beautiful.
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Hello Nick, welcome to the site. And congratulations on your purchase. Having two Auto-5's is like having two rabbits -- before you know it you'll have a lot more.

It's entirely possible that the original owner of your gun ordered another barrel, that was the only way to change chokes back then. Or the original was damaged. We'll never know because it all happened 90 years ago. The thing to remember is that unless modified, you have a short-chambered 16 and you'll need to buy (or make) 65mm shells to shoot it.

Enjoy your piece of history.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  19. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Nick !!

Enjoy our community...
  20. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

[​IMG]
    SHOOTER13 likes this.