Newbee with cycling issues

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by Oldorange, Dec 13, 2022.

1. Oldorange

Oldorange Copper BB

Hey All,

I just got a 308 takedown. Overall I am loving it however there is an issue with cycling rounds up from the magazine. When I have 1 or 2 rounds in the magazine, it cycles great. When I have 3, there is about a 25% chance the round being cycles up from the mag will jam. When I have a full magazine it is rare that I can cycle the first round up without a jam.

Any ideas on what is going on here?
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

what kind of magazine is it? How does it feed ? center feed or staggered feed? What happens to the tip of the round as its feeding? Does it hit on the top of the feed ramp?
  3. Oldorange

Oldorange Copper BB

It is the standard magazine. Yes, the first round is often getting caught under the lip just above the tip of the round. If I could figure out how to post a picture, I would :)

[​IMG]
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I can talk you through posting pictures, but you will need a photo sharing site (IMGUR), is what most use now. I use it right now because there are issues with posting pictures with the forum. Hopefully the update will fix that. Now not sure how long we have to wait for the update, but I have been promised it's in the works. If you want to send to me, I can post for you. If you're interested in that option, you can send me a PM and I will give you, my info. I think pictures would help with the problem. I do know a lot of feed issues come from the magazine feed lips that need to be bent. I have seen some ammo that's too long also cause problems, but don't think this is your issue as of right now. Let me know what you want to do with the pictures.
  5. Oldorange

Oldorange Copper BB

[​IMG]

You can see the tip of the round just underneat the lip.
  6. Ranger6

Are these factory loads?
  7. Oldorange

Oldorange Copper BB

yep factory loads. Norinco New Production 308 Win.

My buddy has the same rifle and using the same loads it cycles fine.

I feel it is the magazine. This weekend I will try his mag in my rifle and see what happens.
    Ranger6 likes this.
  8. Oldorange

Oldorange Copper BB

I think I have cured (or at least greatly improved) the feed issue. As mentioned here, the mag walls are very thing and easily flexed. If I pushed in the 4th round too hard the walls would bow, and the overall height is lower, thus the tip catching on the lip.
  9. Ranger6

Good deal.