New member from Georgia

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Area' started by Jon Williamson Sr, Mar 20, 2023.

1. Jon Williamson Sr

Jon Williamson Sr Copper BB

Hello everyone, been a gun enthusiast all my life and especially an admirer of all John M. Browning's fine firearms.
    It goes without saying, the man was a genius!!!
    Anyway, I'm a country boy and used to shoot a lot, getting into my 70's now has slowed me down quite a bit, and not just my shooting. Still love the smell of gunpowder at the range when I get to go.
    Currently have a Browning Model 92 in .44 Mag., Browning 1886 45-70 26", and a round knob A-5 12 gauge.
    Also have a recently squired Winchester 1894 26" rifle made in 1920 that I have some questions about and hope to answer here since the 94s were a Browning design.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Welcome sir, thanks for introducing yourself.
  3. ShooterGranny

ShooterGranny .270 WIN

Welcome. It seems you shoot long guns, but you might think about trying one of the Browning 1911's that are 85% of the full size ones. They are a delight to shoot. I have both a 1911-22 and a 1911-380 - each "full size" but most folks enjoy the compact sizes also.
    Tinyman likes this.
  4. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Southwest Idaho (formerly from the south side of Chicago), says Hi and welcome!! A great bunch of people here, a whole lot of information, and zero drama. Buy yourself another safe now!!
  5. Jon Williamson Sr

Bill, I have two now and there overflowing. Wife says enough!!!
  6. Jon Williamson Sr

True, I do like to shoot long rang. Nothing like three shots downrange you can cover with a dime. That's not saying I don't like handguns, I do and own quite a few. No Brownings at this time although I did own a Browning high power I liked a lot, wish I still had it.
    Ranger6 and ShooterGranny like this.
  7. Jon Williamson Sr

THANK YOU!!!
    Ranger6 likes this.
  8. Tinyman

Tinyman .410

Welcome from CA (Central Alabama) -- don't apologize for the age, Mrs. Tinyman & I are both getting ready to do the '74 year shuffle this year.
  9. Jon Williamson Sr

Congrats to both of you. I'm just glad to have made it this far, between car wrecks and deer trying to knock me off my motorcycle with one succeeding, it's been touch and go a few times.
  10. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Giday from Down Under 10000 miles away.
    B92 in 44 m what a great piece. You meet lot of good people on this site.
    Jon Williamson Sr likes this.
  11. Jon Williamson Sr

Hey, Thanks
    Watch out for the Crocs lol
  12. Tinyman

Tinyman .410

Hopefully more 'go' than 'touch' and aren't you supposed to shoot them instead of running them over?
    Jon Williamson Sr likes this.
  13. Jon Williamson Sr

That's a little hard to do at 70 on a country road, especially when blindsided and they run over you. I spent three days at the trauma unit in Augusta Ga. with a broke wrist and 5 broken ribs not to mention the absence of a lot o skin that use to cover my knees elbows and buttocks.
    I'm still trying to get even with my furry friends during open season, five last year and three this year but who's counting.
  14. ShooterGranny

ShooterGranny .270 WIN

You were so fortunate! My oldest step son hit a bear while riding his moped home after closing his retail store for the night - Gatlinburg, TN. He was in and out of a coma for weeks, but did not survive. I know a bear is a lot more mass than a deer!

One of my sons hit or was hit by a deer when he was still young, and he was also extremely lucky to survive that "incident" with only minor damage. The front of his motorcycle was pretty well trashed, but who cares.

ETA: My son told me that if he hadn't spent his early teen years doing wild and crazy stunts on his dirt bike he would have hit the deer head on and maybe not survived. MUSCLE MEMORY applies to tying y our shoes, shooting guns and so many other things in life!
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
  15. Jon Williamson Sr

Sorry to hear about your stepson, there's just no protection when your on two wheels. I can't imagine hitting a bear thinking what a 100 lb. deer did to me.

Yes, fortunate that I walked away, actually crawled. The State Trooper that worked the accident measured the distance I slid down the highway at 415 feet. If there had been any oncoming traffic, I wouldn't be here today. I sold what was left of the Harley but I do miss cruising the South Georgia country roads.
  16. Peyton2021

Peyton2021 Copper BB

Welcome from Minnesota
  17. Jon Williamson Sr

THANK YOU!!