New Malfunction

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Rudolph31, May 8, 2023.

1. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

My normally reliable 1947 12 gauge started malfunctioning. Extraction was good but the shells weren’t always ejecting. I thought maybe the Fiocchi ammo was at fault, but it was jamming with Federal shells as well.

Here’s an old picture:

[​IMG]

I’d had problems with extractors, but I couldn’t see an ejector wearing out. Last week I noticed that I could see more of the barrel extension than usual.

[​IMG]

That seems strange, normally a worn forearm will position the barrel too far forward. I couldn’t understand what could move it the opposite direction. Still, swapping firearms fixed the problem.
    [​IMG]
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

When I got home I found a crack in the forearm. I never would have guessed that a cracked forearm would cause such a malfunction.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Yep, that sucks, I always check that magazine cap out of habit, as I'm sure you do, at every station. More than one time it has come lose.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, that’s the point. The cap wasn’t loose. A loose cap would have positioned the barrel too far forward.
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Ok I think we both mis-understood, I never assumed it was lose, but I did miss that it was to far to the rear. So what do you think caused it to crack?
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

76 years of use!
    Ranger6 likes this.
  7. Couple of thoughts...
    -Is it possible an old well used spring, upon recoil compression could overtime expand into a slight larger diameter or "oval" in the back to middle operating areas? Causing stress on the wood? But of course 76 Years a bunch of years!
    -Ever seen a wore out spring jump over the ring in the back shooting light loads?
  8. Ranger6

Never seen that. I'm guessing you have. Got a picture?
  9. No, haven't seen it, just trouble shooting through thought. I have seen a number of really abused Auto 5's over the years... they still work but they looked like they've seen combat with Russian forces on the Eastern Front.
    Auzzie likes this.
  10. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Ok you got my attention. I am keen to hear the root cause.
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The root cause was the 2” crack at the rear of the forearm, allowing it to sit too far aft. With the barrel extension blocking just 1 millimeter of the ejection port, the gun jammed. Look at the pictures.

Note: the sharp eyed will see that those are two different guns. But the ‘47 looked the same when the forearms were swapped. In the field, my quick fix was to loosen the magazine cap a half turn.
  12. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Ok got it. Had only glanced over pictures initially.
    Does it look able to repair forearm with pins and reinforce or too far gone ? 2" sounds a sizeable crevas going on.
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’m going to glue it with Acraglas, eventually. This crack was previously repaired with superglue. It lasted a few years but I keep hearing wonderful things about the other product. I don’t think there’s enough meat there to pin it. It would have to be a very thin dowel.

It’s funny, this crack occurred years ago when I first bought this gun. I’d bought a new “aftermarket” recoil spring from Brownell’s that was too big, causing the crack. I left a nasty review — and they sent me a brand new forearm! That part was a spare, but now it’s shared between two guns with damaged front ends.
    Last edited: May 11, 2023
  14. "I’d bought a new “aftermarket” recoil spring from Brownell’s that was too big, causing the crack."

W O W
  15. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, these shotguns were new to me back then. I’ve learned a lot since, mostly the hard way.