New guy from Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Area' started by Mley1, Dec 31, 2022.

1. Mley1

Mley1 Copper BB

Hello everyone. I'm from South of Houston, Santa Fe to be more specific. I joined the forum to learn more about Browning firearms. I started owning Browning firearms back in the early 80's when my wife wanted to hunt with me, and my rifles were too big for her to shoot effectively.

I found a very nice A bolt in .270. I had the stock cut down a touch to fit her. Then I installed a Leupold 2.5-8x33 Varix III on it. Made for a light weight, comfortable rifle that both of us enjoyed shooting. She has always been able to shoot small groups with the rifle, usually much smaller than I could. I always enjoyed it when she'd shoot at the range, and the fella's around would take notice of the that "good looking chick that can shoot".

Anyhow, I rocked on for many years shooting Remington, Winchester and Savages. I had a few years where all I shot was AR styled rifles. Then, I got a bit miffed at my AR's, and their obnoxious muzzle breaks, the cold sharp metal edges. And, decided to go back to bolt guns.

I lucked into a deal on an Xbolt composite stalker in .308. I put a Leupold Varix 3i 4.5-14x40 CDS scope on it. I reload for .308. So, I figured I'd buy some cheap ammo, and shoot it to get the brass. I found some Norma Whitetail ammo in 150grn for about 17 dollars a box, and bought 20 boxes. Norma brass is well known for being good brass. What I didn't expect was how well the rifle would shoot that ammo. It shot the ammo consistently sub moa, with many groups sub .75 moa. To say I was a happy camper with the rifles accuracy using inexpensive ammo was an understatement. I was also pleased that it shot my reloads to the same poi, even though those loads were developed using a different bolt rifle. I will be developing new loads using the Norma brass, and I look forward to seeing how accurate the rifle really is.

I'm enjoying reading the forums here. I especially enjoy the rifle related forums, as that is my current interests, rifles. And, at some point, I will likely be buying another Browning Xbolt model. My favorite rifle cartridges are .308 and 30-06. So, it will likely be one of those calibers.

Thanks for some great reading here, and a lot of good information.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2022
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Welcome sir. You are my neighbor I guess, glad to have you as a member. Check your PM
  3. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Southwest Idaho says Hi and welcome. A great bunch of guys here, and no drama.

Buy another safe now.
    Mley1 likes this.
  4. Mley1

Mley1 Copper BB

LOL, buy another safe the man says. My wife says the safe is full, buy another rifle and sell a rifle. I shoulda bought a BIGGER safe!!! If I'd have kept every rifle/gun I've sold or traded over the years I'd need several safes. She reminds me I can only shoot one gun at a time, but I keep trying to convince her that my gunsmoke therapy is good for my mental health and well being. She's generally very understanding, but expects me to search for bargains, lol.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Welcome. I own a couple of A-bolts. One is 270 as well. They are fine shooting rifles and don’t get the respect they deserve
    Mley1 likes this.