Monthly LGS tour.

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Bill Idaho, Jul 13, 2022.

1. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

About once a month my son and I drive around the Boise Idaho area and hit all the gun shops. Obviously my search is pretty well focused on A5s. As I might have already mentioned I was told at a recent gun show the main reason the A5 market has slowed way down---is because I've bought them all!
    Anyway, yesterday I found a really pristine 1960 grade 2, at one of the shops. I actually know the owner there, we've known each other for 20 years.
    I look it over pretty close, inspect about all I can without a complete tear down on the counter. The wood was refinished decades ago, it didn't have the correct "shine". No rust, the innards actually were quite clean. The bluing was 90%!

$1200 on the tag. I can tell it's a consignment. (To put things in perspective, in this area's market, that would be a $400 A5.) "Hey Jim ( the owner of the store), what's up with this price, is it mis-marked?!" He says "No, the owner of that thing wants that much for it....."

"Jim, as the store's owner, you DO know you can tell the guy he's asking WAY too much, don't you?"
    "I tried"

"Jim, call me when reality sets in."
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Bill that's about the price I'm seeing down here. Recently seen a Mag 12 for 2000.00. I about passed out.
  3. murphranch

murphranch .410

Are there quite a few LGS around there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  4. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

There are probably 15-20 within a 20 minute drive (actual gun shops) and another 10-15 pawn shops that have guns as well. It's an all day adventure to hit every one and see their newest "deals".

I did happen upon a 1981 Japanese A5, that someone put a magazine tube extension on along with some type of muzzle brake device I have never seen. Really clean and nice. I think he said $600. A shade too new for me.
    murphranch and Auzzie like this.
  5. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

How lucky are you.
    Now that sounds like a great way to spend a Saturday off doin the round looking at potential buys.

Will probably get Boo’s but I like the Jap A5’s from the practical use sense. As a competition clay buster they have the extra weight and bulk to offset the recoil of repitition use along with screw in chokes. They are extremely well made and reliable BC Miroku did good job. They may not have the appeal and nostalgia bit and way too heavy for stomping in the field but certainly value for money .
    murphranch and win7stw like this.
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Wish I had that luxury of hitting that many gun stores in one day.

I agree with Auzzie. I shot my first 25 on trap with a Magnum Twelve.
    murphranch likes this.
  7. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I will not argue, the Japanese A5s are really a nice gun. I know a guy that collects only Japanese A5s. Whenever he finds an older Belgian one, he calls me, and whenever I find a newer one, I call him. We have helped each other out several times.
    I was told by one shop owner there is an older A5 at a pawn shop in a town about 20 miles east of Boise-----tomorrow, I will investigate. Road trip!!
    murphranch likes this.
  8. Pamlico

Pamlico .22LR

Prices in my area are Rich Too! Lowest prices I see are around $ 750.00 for run of mill A5 here in Eastern NC. Last time I got lucky on price was back in 2015 on a 1953 A5 Standard and a 1958 A5 12 Gauge Magnum package for $ 700.00. The 1953 A5 came with 2 Barrels which one was a Japanese barrel.