Modern Ammo in an older Hi-Power.

Discussion in 'Browning Hi Power Handgun' started by MikeMarkCA, Jul 25, 2022.

1. MikeMarkCA

MikeMarkCA .22LR

I usually run Fed HST in my Khar PM9, CCW, wondering how the older Hi Powers feed modern ammo?
    Will I need work done on the 1970 Hi-power or will it handle HP’s with no problems?
    Will I need anew barrel with a modified feed to make them feed smoothly?
    Thank you.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The only way to find out is to head to the range and try it in your gun. It might work in mine, and not feed in yours. Be sure to shoot a couple of magazines.
  3. LDM

LDM Copper BB

Polishing the feed ramp does make a difference in smoother operation. Way back when I used Simichrome polish and a Dremel tool with the bullet shaped felt tip. Managed a mirror finish. Look for any horizontal tool marks on the ramp and give them special attention.
  4. cxm

cxm Copper BB

My shooter HPs all handle HPs without problems... older guns sometimes choke on HPs but by no means all. My shooters/carry HPs are all Mk III except for one 1969 gun.

Polishing the feed ramp is good advice... I routinely do this on any HP I get that might be carried... Sort of like chicken soup... it won't hurt if done carefully. I polish the feed ramp on the barrels with red jewler's rouge and the 'felt bullet' on my Dremel tool... but I run it is very low RPMs. It is fairly slow which I see as a good thing...

FWIW

Chuck