Making the grip fatter

Discussion in 'Browning 1911-22 Handgun' started by ShooterGranny, Mar 7, 2023.

1. ShooterGranny

ShooterGranny .270 WIN

I have to wear shooting gloves due to long term damage to my hands and wrists. The 85% size grip on the Browning 1911's is just enough too narrow for me with the gloves on that I needed to find a way to make it larger. I love the grips and didn't want to try to find fatter ones. Also, after what I paid for the gun - with its factory grey cerakote and fiber optic sights - I didn't want to spend more money on it.

I wear PIG Charlie gloves made especially for women, so it is not a problem of the gloves being loose. they fit "like a glove" LOL...

I had an old report binder with plastic that is slightly embossed, making it a bit thicker than the regular ones. SO - I cut grip size pieces of plastic, two for each side, and put them under the wood grips. The screws still worked which was fortunate. Now I have grips that fit my hand.

Actually, I did the same thing with my three SIG P238's but had to buy longer screws for those guns.

Pictures below. thanks Ranger6!
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
    KyBoB likes this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Upload for ShooterGranny:
    [​IMG]
    KyBoB likes this.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

[​IMG]
    KyBoB likes this.
  4. ShooterGranny

ShooterGranny .270 WIN

Thanks, Ranger6 -- now I know to make my pictures smaller if I want to post more so they aren't too large and fuzzy like the first one of the end of the grips. That plastic is not anywhere as thick as it looks in that picture, but that is the picture I had from Dec of 2018 when the gun was still fairly new - after it came back from browning to have the barrel redone so it would shoot to POA.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
    Ranger6 likes this.
  5. Ranger6

[​IMG]
    TinymanCopper BB
    Lets hear about this fantastic piece -- my wife owns one and she loves it. Calls it her pew-pew.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry I called you stupid, I thought you already knew.

is post was moved for member Tinyman:
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
  6. Ranger6

[​IMG]
    JimCunn.410
    I have a 1911-22 Compact and two 1911-380/22 Compact Convertibles.
    The five slides have various sights, some decent, some not.
    For open carry, I use an El Paso Saddlery Tom Threepersons open toe, hammer thong, exposed trigger.
    For concealed carry, Azula IWB, or just pocket.

This post was moved for member JimCunn
  7. Ranger6

[​IMG]
    ShooterGranny.410
    I bought an Azula pancake for my 1911-380, supposedly for carry, but mostly also for outdoor range use. For the cheap price it is made decently, but the gun went right into it, meaning it is almost too loose. I have a true custom holster for my 1911-22 and it is a work of art - and no way can the 1911-380 to into it. I'm not going to try to stretch it because it is too high quality and that would make it way too loose for the 22.

This post was moved for member ShooterGranny.
  8. Tinyman

Tinyman .410

Like they say in the Army, "TANKS ALOT"
    Ranger6 likes this.
  9. 217jerrym

217jerrym .22LR

Fatter grip results. I felt the same about how the grip feels on my 1911-22 so I tried what you did Granny. First try was using 1/16" on each side, but just didn't feel right. Second was 1mm (a tad under 1/16") on each side. Staying with that one.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
  10. JimCunn

JimCunn .410

Where is the 380 larger than the 22?
    I haven't noticed that problem yet.
  11. 217jerrym

217jerrym .22LR

It isn't that I know of. Not a problem, it's just a personal preference.
  12. ShooterGranny

ShooterGranny .270 WIN

IF you are referring to the fact that my .380 will not fit into the holster which was made for my .22, it would be the different size of very slight difference in the configuration of the slide. ? I know a lot of holsters are sold as appropriate for both .380 and .22 but MY holster does not fit my .380. Even if they measure the same, they are not the same. It could possibly be the different models also. The .22 cost a lot more $$ than the .380 did. It has the grey slide and the fiber optic sights, whereas my .380 is the Black Label model, but there could be a small difference in the size also. Who knows.
  13. ShooterGranny

ShooterGranny .270 WIN

Good for you! Its is amazing how just that little bit of difference in "fatness" can make for a more comfortable and stable grip.

So many of the plastic fantastics come with different size grip backstraps now, but with 1911's we have to make our own "invisible" grip enlargers. Note that with my SIG P238's I had to buy longer grip screws because the standard ones just fell out. But so far the grip screws on the Brownings are working with the plastic layers under the grip panels.
  14. JimCunn

JimCunn .410

SG, I don't doubt you. What triggered my question is that I have one 1911-22 and two 1911-380/22 conversions for a total of 3 frames and 5 slides, and I can't tell a difference between them. I expect my holsters are probably not as good a fit as yours.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
  15. ShooterGranny

ShooterGranny .270 WIN

Actually I think I have two leather holsters for the .22. The one was "almost right" and the other one is PERFECT, so I could play with the first one and see if I can stretch it to fit the .380.

...When ever the weather warms up enough that I want to take the currently frozen guns out of the safe in the frozen garage, that is. And after I clean 4 of them that have been waiting.