Looking at a DA (what you think?)

Discussion in 'Discontinued Browning Models' started by Bruski, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Bruski

Bruski .410

If I don't buy the Auto 5 on other thread was thinking of picking up a DA - not sure about this one.
    Bad refinishing and shop being awkward to boot. Price NZ $500. DA 1.jpg DA 3.jpg DA 2.jpg
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

It usually costs less to get a gun that’s already in the condition you want than to restore a beater. This one need the checkering recut and a new finish.
  3. Bruski

Bruski .410

Ahh well, the dealer sent through photo's on the phone and at that size it looked okay.
    As soon as I sent some to the PC all bets went out the door.
    (Did wonder why dealer was reluctant to send to my email account).
    Such is life.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, I just looked it up. $500NZD = $350USD. That’d be dirt cheap here, I don’t know what the market is like there. Or how much it would cost to replace or repair that stock.

I will say, my DA was purchased out of curiosity. I couldn’t shoot it worth a damn until I added a Poly Choked barrel. And I don’t like being limited to two shells.

YMMV
  5. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Hey Bruski ,
    Keep your eye out sure one will appear again in time . There are lot more kicking round NZ than you think compared to this side of the ditch. If you look back to other DA post below you will see couple images the steel one I picked up. Looks a wreck outside but done absolutely no work when you get inside.

Interestingly I contacted Browning US about the really low serial no as it had my curiosity and they put me in touch with somebody at Browning museum Ogden who in turn did some further checking with somebody else who potential identified it as a first week production gun without actually examining .
    Apparently story goes the very very early numbers from that first week with no prefix were given as gifts by Val to family members and friends before things really kicked off.
    Who known if true or not but it all works ok for me and can hit with it no problem. It’s not my everyday go to though.
    Just got it as it popped up unexpected and liked the quirky unusual aspect and having a different toy to everybody.
    I would like to know story behind how it got way across the pond to here and with who.
  6. Bruski

Bruski .410

Wouldn't mind knowing that story myself.
    Might take some time to find the right DA as most I've seen appear to have been beaten up in duck blinds.
    Still no rush, we'll see what comes up.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  7. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

I reckon with all the gun reform and law changes going on over your place at moment there is a fair chance of a good one coming to surface. Be just a matter of combing the dealers and sites regularly. There was a very old established Browning dealership in Duniden so South Island would be likely place to look around now. Bit like how you uncovered that old A5 with straight stock. Now that's a cool piece of old history for our side of the pond. Anything that old and cool here got crunched back 96.
    As you say no rush