KA-BAR Knives

Discussion in 'Knives' started by SHOOTER13, May 7, 2014.

1. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Just ordered this KA-BAR serrated Foliage Green Fighting/Utility Knife...

[​IMG]

SPECS:

Material: Steel 1095 Cro-Van
    Blade Type: Fixed
    Blade Point: Clip
    Blade Length: 7 inches
    Overall Length: 11-3/4 inches
    Weight: 0.70 lb
    Blade Thickness: 0.165
    Edge Angle: 20 Degrees
    Handle Material: Kraton G®
    Grind: Flat
    HRC: 56-58
    Butt Cap/Guard: Powdered Metal
    Sheath: Glass Filled Nylon
    Made in USA

http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/23
    Rob poston and Rudolph31 like this.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

If you also own a KA-BAR knife, please post a picture of it here and tell us a little about it...
  3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Ordered Wednesday 5/7...came in Saturday 5/10 !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rob poston likes this.
  4. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Very nice, Shooter13! Love that sheath!
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  5. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

20170412_010918-3__1491975730_66.87.152.131.jpg 20170412_010950__1491975780_66.87.152.131~2.jpg 20170412_011006__1491975814_66.87.152.131.jpg Here is my old USMC KA-BAR fighting knife.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Nice Rob...
    Rob poston likes this.
  7. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Thanks!
  8. I've got one like Rob's, only it's not made my Ka-Bar. I'll try to post some pics this week.
    Rob poston likes this.
  9. Obviously, this is not a Ka-Bar. But my understanding is that, before Ka-Bar was chosen by the military, there was a competition. This example is supposed to be a reproduction of Case's entry in that competition.

P.S. It appears I have some rust on this item. Can anyone recommend the proper remedy for rust on this type of finish?
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Best bet to post pictures here is to use a FREE image hosting site like Photo Bucket or Flickr.

You register for free...upload your photos to that site...edit for size ( 600 x 600 pixels is best here )... then download to any site...to include here.

http://www.photobucket.com

https://www.flickr.com/
  11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

There you go...

Case makes a damn good knife...
    Rob poston likes this.
  12. I had two other pics, but photo bucket was so mindbogglingly slow I thought it was broken.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  13. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Yea...it is.

Me thinks because of all the ads.
  14. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

You are correct. I do not recall Case making one (not to say that they didn't), but there were two other manufacturers of the USMC fighting knife. KA-BAR was the original (in WWII), and was re-issued in the mid-1990's. During the time between the 1950's through 1990's, the KA-BAR style knife was also made by Ontario as well as Camillus. Incidentally, the KA-BAR was not part of every Marine issue. Your unit either issued a bayonet, or a KA-BAR (fighting knife), depending on if you were isssued a sidearm. If you were issued a pistol, you got a fighting knife. If you only had a rifle, you were signed out a bayonet. Ironic, since the bayonet has not typically been rifle-mounted in probably 60+ years. ;-)
    Another interesting feature about the fighting knife is the so-called "blood groove", which has been placed there for strength only, not to reduce weight or suction (when plunged into a body), like many people think. There is no metal removed, the groove is actually hammer forged into the blade. This displaces the metal, thus creating a slight raised spot (or "ring") around the groove. This ring, along with the work-hardening of the metal, makes the blade substantially stronger.

How bad is the rust? Do you by chance, know what finish is on your knife's blade?
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    SHOOTER13 and Mister Coffee like this.
  15. Thanks for your post, Rob, It is informative.

The finish on my Case knife is like a very rough Parkerizing. I'm crappy with a camera, but I could try to take more pictures if it would help.

Cheers. :)
    Rob poston likes this.
  16. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

You're welcome.... happy to help. Yes, if you coud post pics of the blade, that would give me a better idea of what you're dealing with. As for the finish, parkerizing sounds correct. I know the KA-BAR blade is parkerized, as per requirements set for the military regarding durability and reflectivity. The Case will likely be the same. Note that Case did apparently make a commemorative USMC KA-BAR style knife around 1992 and 1998 (possibly other years, as well). Yours might be one of those Commemorative editions.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Mister Coffee likes this.
  17. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

I can see a little around the handguard. Does it come up onto the blade as well? Reason I ask, the blade on my KA-BAR is parkerized, but the handguard is actually painted flat black. If Case does this as well, it should be an easy fix. Sorry I could not be much more help, it is sort of hard to see on my Smartphone. I miss the days when I was smarter than my appliances. ;-)
  18. There's a little rust spotting on the blade as well. How does one deal with rust on a Parkerized blade?