Hangfire Safety

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Auzzie, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Last weekend on skeet field had hangfire event with a win 209 that had all ingredients of ugly. My kid who is very experienced shooter went to shoot L8 and the dreaded click of pin hit primer and no bang. Being well drilled he dismounted gun and assumed low gun position with it down range safe and action still closed and started counting to 10 before opening. Myself and others right by witnessed this and when he got to 5 which he was saying out loud it went off. BANG
    Luckily he did everything exactly right but I would have to say this is the first time in my 45yrs behind the stock I have ever seen this happen with such a huge time lag Heard it can happen but never seen till the other day.
    I have seen countless people have this happen with dud factories or reloads and just give it a second and open the gun straight up and remove the shell without a thought.

Just shows freak things can happen and without thinking the outcome could have been completely different story.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Auzzie: your boy has done good. Excellent really. Plan B needs to be 30 sec. I know how that feels. Had one couple months ago on sporting clay course. Winchester universal. It was a good 30 sec.if not longer. It finally went off. Damn near dropped the 525 cause my finger was already on the top lever and it was about to break open. Never seen one take that long, but it did. People I was shooting with kept saying” are you gonna break it open”? Needless to say when it went off they about sh** their pants.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  3. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Wow that’s way longer. Bet that really was a brown moment for everybody concerned!! I have seen similar events with old cordite ex military rifle ammo but never a shotshells as such. We will definitely extend the count hearing this.

No I am pretty wrapped with how my kid handles and conducts himself.
    Apart from being a great shot and competitor he has had 2 freak events happen within a year that most would never experience in a lifetime and come out on the right side both times by just using what he has learned and common sense.

I hope somebody reads this and might just save them an injury by being patient.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Auzzie: for sure he has done good and deserves and extra pat on the back. Job well done. I know many older people that would have never done what he has done twice. Knowing what to do is what prevents the accident from happening.