Failure to Feed and Eject Issue

Discussion in 'Browning Semi-Auto 22 Rifle' started by NickV02, Mar 2, 2021.

1. NickV02

NickV02 Copper BB

I have an older Belgian SA22 rifle that is having issues with feeding and ejecting. It is a hand-me-down rifle, with an unknown history, received from my father many years ago but never used by me until now.

Before I took it to the range, i disassembled it, cleaned it as best I could, lubed and re-assembled.

Using Winchester 40 grain target ammo. I do not have any other .22 to try out, can't even find a box for sale.

When I load a round in, and cycle the breech block, it will cycle 3/4 of the way and hang before it would pick up the cartridge and load it in the chamber. I can try to cycle it again, and it still hangs about 3/4 of the way from fully closed. You can cycle it over and over, and it will hang over and over. I got it to close once, and once it is closed, it will fire the round, but then it will not eject the casing. You have to cycle the breech block to get the casing to fall out.

I had these problems, researched the issue, and thought there were some worn out parts and it needed a more deeper cleaning, seeing as how it is an older rifle. So I replaced the firing pin spring, recoil spring, extractor spring, cartridge guide spring, cartridge stop, and the actual magazine assembly with spring. All were Browning parts purchased from Midwest Gun Works https://www.midwestgunworks.com/browning-semi-auto-22/parts.html . I cleaned the cartridge guide (but did not replace) very well.

Replaced all of these parts, cleaned it again, lubed it again, took it out, and had the exact same issues. Could get one round to load after a lot of struggle, and then when it did fire, it did not eject the casing.

Any ideas on what to look at next? I really want to get this to work, I want it to be my son's first rifle one day.

Thank you in advance!
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I know next to nothing about these rifles, but I do believe some were chambered for the .22 Short.