Early Double Auto Serial Numbers

Discussion in 'Browning Double Auto' started by Auzzie, Oct 22, 2022.

1. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Seeing I requested this section and annoyed the administrator about time to post
    Their is certainly information about for Double Autos out there but not much at all dealing with early ones.

Prior to marketing in the US , The early steel reciever models were manufactured for release in Europe with a number finding their way to Canada and the Southern Hemisphere outposts of Australia and New Zealand.
    The second oldest Browning Distributors in the world were once located in Duniden NZ which may explain why a number of early examples found their way South.
    To the best of my research the guns in discussion here were manufactured 1952 to 1955.
    The very earliest examples have only the serial number on the underside no prefix. Low early numbers generally have personal ties to the Browning Family.
    Following this “FN”appears in the serial indicating European Release
    The “C” prefix appears somewhere between the 500 and 900 mark
    First year production is 1 - 3600 best estimate and is identified by the exposed brass rivet in the rear of the forend wood. This only occurred in first year run guns.
    The early steel reciever guns come in at 7 1/2 lb so quite bit heavier than a later ”
    Hopefully this sparks some interest out there.
    Rudolph31 and Ranger6 like this.
  2. Hey Auzzie,
    That Twelvette I'm getting has a serial # of A352xx with "FN" to the left of the A.
    Any idea of a ballpark date it was born? Thanx.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95
  3. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Hi Crossfire
    I would say 1960 There was a new specific serial prefix system change that occurred that year. Where A = 1960 , 1A = 1961 , 2A = 1962 and so on up to end of manufacture in 1971. (71A)
    The “A” signifies for Alloy
    Approximately 67000 produced over a 19 year run which isn’t a lot.
  4. Hi Auzzie,
    Not sure if I took a stupid pill, but I thought I saw a chart of some sort posted somewhere on this site for serial numbers and dates for the DA. I've seen one for the Auto-5 and thought maybe there was one for the DA. Am I imagining things? Thanx.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95
  5. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Not one on this site to my knowledge. I saw stuff on line once somewhere can’t remember exactly where now couple of years back when trying to find info for own piece. Wrote it all down in hand notes which still have. Not 100 pcent how accurate though and it never covered the early serials which didn’t help me at the time. Found some info in other books for them and off some real pieces to fill in the gaps. Will PM you what I have.
    Crossfire Hurricane likes this.
  6. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

If you go looking on YouTube an English guy has done a video on his DA and it has an Alumnium factory barrel. Now that would have to be rare and some sort of prototype.
    Crossfire Hurricane likes this.