Do you remember?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Ranger6, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I was digging for some stuff tonight, and in the bottom of a box I seen something that caught my eye. So had to load some. This load is 18 gr of herco, cci 209 primer, 20s1 wad and 7/8 oz #8. Stack height is beautiful and the crimp, well you can judge for yourself.
    I doubt many will remember or even seen any of these, but I remember shooting them as a kid. They were my grandfathers so older then dirt. Any way I will give someone the chance to identify. Well pretty much all of them split in the crimp, so not great crimps but it will work.
    Shot these today and they performed well even with split cases before reloading. They ejected fine and except for the split, they could be reloaded again. I will try to cut to 2 1/2 and get at least one more time out of them. To bad they are a thing of the past.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  2. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Old Active or a Super hull at a guess
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

You are correct sir.

Attached Files:

4. Ranger6

Auzzie: how did you know?Do they have these in the down under or like myself, the younger years are gone.
  5. Ranger6

So as the title says do you remember? Hunting on railroad tracks? As a kid I would jump on the train that was rolling though town and ride to the next town and hunt rabbit on the tracks back home. Do you remember carrying a shotgun in the back of your truck, even in the school parking lot? Do you remember carrying a pocket knife to school? How about leaving the keys in the ignition of your truck parked outside. A hand shake that was all that was needed to buy or sell anything. Where have those times went? Do you remember!!!!
  6. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Both! Nah used to be local Aust manufacturer down here ran with them in early 80’s “ Scorpio “ by Sergio Zuffo was the first ever independent to take on big boys Win and ICI Eley .Did them 1 1/8 oz in green and orange from memory. Were very good as a factory . They first invented Mulwex which evolved into what you know as Clays powder specifically for them. I reloaded and shot plenty of them as a teenage trap addict kid with Hercules red dot 18 grain and their Scorpio pink wad or Win AA jammed in there. The old compression formed plastic were good for 6 plus times. Winchester squeezed and squashed them in the end . Amazed Can remember in such vivid detail !!!
  7. Ranger6

Damn that’s pretty interesting. Good ole red dot huh? I like me some red dot. That’s actually my go to powder for lots of loads. I only got 25 of the activ hulls and they are all split. Who knows how many times they have been reloaded. Sure wish I could find some new ones.
  8. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

What I remember was slaving in a trap house in 1980 behind a western white flyer trap for $7.00 a day and paying $4.50 for a box of Bruno Penetra 12 g cardboards with horse hair wad. Chekoslvakian premium ammo!. That’s what got me reloading because it kicked like a mule and blew horse hair back in your eyes every shot.
    Also figured if you learn to shoot good and possibly win you could triple or more your wages. Incentive.
    Ranger6 likes this.
  9. Ranger6

I like your thinking. I have read about the horse hair wads, but don’t think I’ve ever shot any or seen any for that matter.
  10. Ranger6

Found this little bit of info. Thought it was interesting.

Attached Files:

11. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Look forward to a review on multi hulls later huh. Hope some others chime in with there remember when’s
  12. Ranger6

Auzzie: don’t believe I have any of the multi hulls and BP don’t show them anymore.
  13. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

That’s unfortunate. Thought there might be a chance they were still being made somewhere.
    ADI Thales have only just recently removed all the loading data from their latest edition books.
    Remember them being super forgiving as a reload ,feeding and functioning beautifully in a an array of clapped out pumps and autos I owned as kid/teenager moving through the grades. Discussed with my life long shooting buddies since kids on weekend and the old Winchester AA wads for compression formed AA cases also work a treat in those Actives. When you cut open length wise the actives are a hybrid cross between a compression formed and a straight wall. Regardless they were great and went forever.
  14. Ranger6

Well the multi hull from BP may eventually come back in stock when things pick back up. The activ hulls are gone probably forever. You can still find a few here and there if you look. I have a case of them loaded at home(Ohio). Called my mom yesterday and she confirmed they are there. Kind of funny cause my mom bought a new house couple years ago when she retired, so I wasn’t sure if all my stuff from 30 years ago got tossed or moved to the new house. My mom’s reply” I’m sure there in your room, silly”. Wait…. What? My room? I said, “ mom, I still have a room?” She said you will have a room until I’m gone then all of the rooms are yours. Didn’t have the heart to tell her that I would probably never move back home.
  15. Ranger6

Auzzie: You guys on lock down again? Read some stuff this morning about military doing patrolling.
  16. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Yeah it’s all unravelled bad all of a sudden with delta strain. I am on lockdown at moment as they desperately try to contain. . Not anywhere near enough vaccinated and vaccine supply shortages as well.
  17. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Thought you were going to say you had some hulls at Mom’ s and we’re going to get her to load some in her spare time!
    Only kidding.
    When I had to clean out home when my Mom passed it was exactly as I had left like time capsule wise. All presses still with powder in them and stuff loaded on the bench tops ready to go. Was in same place 55 yrs so nothing changed or moved.
  18. Ranger6

Gee, just when things were going back to normal, so I thought. It’s probably going back to that here. Not many people want the vaccine here. I seen on the news you get 25.00 gift card if you get your shot, and they just destroyed 1 million doses. Crazy!
  19. Ranger6

Guess that’s just the way it is at mom’s house. Actually she would load some if I showed her how. She use to shoot with me when I was a kid and well into high school.
  20. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

That cool. My Mum was same not shooter so much but worked part time in gun club shoot admin side .She used to pull targets for me during after school practice in the high school years.