Chronograph

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Ranger6, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

A09EFA19-592B-44BC-A4A7-DC559972E8E6.jpeg D4F8C123-3531-4E21-90DA-BE887D202FE7.jpeg A09EFA19-592B-44BC-A4A7-DC559972E8E6.jpeg After 2 months of the new chrono looking at me from the shelf, I was able to play with this thing a little. I must say I’m impressed with the results so far. I tested a new load and it clocked 1380 fps. I thought possibly this was wrong, but then ran 10 Rio loads
    (factory) and the box said 1200 fps. They were all within 10 fps of that on either side. I then checked some roll crimped loads in the federal hull and they were loaded to 1200 fps per alliant. The six I had clocked at 1200 fps +/- 10 fps. I need to do some more work with it to establish some base lines and where it’s really at. The app did not work, so need to figure that out. Not really required but nice to have. D4F8C123-3531-4E21-90DA-BE887D202FE7.jpeg
    KyBoB likes this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I checked the app again once I got home and all data was transferred from the chrono, so it may be a signal issue while at the range. More testing on this in the future, could very well be operator error.
  3. Carl_in_NH

Carl_in_NH Copper BB

I have a DLX as well. Works just fine, and I use it primarily for shotshell measurements (the Labradar just wasn't made for multiple projectiles). The Digital Link app is great when you're helping someone else out by measuring their handload performance, because when the string is done you can just text them all the relevant data.
  4. Ranger6

Have you done any testing in the sun? I'm in Texas so as you know very sunny. I have seen some translucent screens made for this chrono. Should be pretty simple to make, just would like to know if it really works before I waste the time. I don't get to many good cloudy days down here.
  5. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Have the previous model prochrono digital nib as yet unused . Like everything been trying to find time last 18 mths to setup and start playing. Will be very interested in your review and opinion. On that old Neil Winston site www.claytargettesting.com he has a neat portable cover fashioned out of push fitted tube and bit of shade cloth.
    I will probably go down that path and fashion up a portable table to house it.
  6. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Mine doesn’t have the digital link as standard built in but apparently can be retrofitted externally as an extra module that plugs in and talks to app. Anyone know bit more about that and if it is still available?
  7. Ranger6

I can't get that web site to work. Gives me something in Chinese. I want to take a look at it for mine. I do have a picture from another web site.www.precisionriffleblog.com. You will have to copy that link for some reason, if you click on it, it won't find it either. Anyway, once you open up that website there is a search box in the top corner. Type in chrono and the first one is chrono accuracy tips. Read that article and you will see the sun screen there.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  8. Ranger6

Is this the external blue tooth ?
  9. Carl_in_NH

Carl_in_NH Copper BB

The interface to the chrono is via Bluetooth.

Mine did come with the opaque white plastic shades and works quite well in the sun with them installed.

I tried using it one day without the shades in the sun and got wildly varying speeds reported on a string of loads I was testing, while they all had the same felt recoil. I put the shades on and continued the string and started receiving the consistencies I'd expect in the readings. Learned my lesson, just put the shades on and don't waste loads when measuring a string.
  10. Ranger6

Agree and that’s what I’ve done. These shades may be all that’s required. Time testing will figure that part out.
  11. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Yes that lmage shows the strap on plug in adaptor. Anyone know if it is still available tech or been superseded with your newer model chrono having it integrated.
  12. Ranger6

Just got off the phone with comp. electronics and the external blue tooth is no longer available from them. They do have a trade in option, and you get the latest and greatest at a discount.
  13. Ranger6

C23B81AC-77F4-4C3C-8201-B02B145B2CF2.png Had about an hour before the rain this morning. So did a little more with the chrono and the app. If you recall the last 410 load clocked at 1383 over the DLX. I dropped the powder charge by .6gr(13.4) gr of 410 powder. These checked at an avg of 1340/ 18 SD and 51 ES. This is using a ched 209. I need to try a fed primer next. The pattern still looks good. The Citori shoots a little high and shooting through the chrono without hitting it, was my main concern.

E9860A2C-098C-42E8-8EBD-DC20DFFAE0C3.png
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
  14. Ranger6

Here is the pattern at 30 yards 8EF5A45C-6538-4643-B26C-4E18A2013D97.jpeg
  15. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Pretty good pattern you have going on there.
    I have seen few shotgun blasted chrono’s before under arms of unhappy customers. I once saw an old picture where Bob Brister was doing testing of shotguns over a home made table with a recessed well that chrono sat down flush in with a steel deflector. It had an igloo cover with pvc and shade cloth and drop down bob so you shoot same elevation consistently through structure. I copied that idea figuring on preservation
  16. Ranger6

image.jpg It's probably the best pattering 410 I have ever seen. So, kudos to Browning for that. I need to play with it a little before I send it off for testing. The numbers are a little high for my liking but may not be able to improve much. My experience is that most 410 wads have no crush section by design, so just seated on the powder is about as good as it gets. I recovered one of these MG wads and I am believing that this wad has some crush section, at least on set back of the shot when fired. I will seat the wad with a little pressure to see what happens. The picture is the recovered MG wad next to a new one. You really can't see it in the picture but it's there just slightly. The gas seal at the bottom has a slight roll to it also. Not sure if that is happing during loading or during firing, but that's an easy thing to check so more on that soon.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
    Auzzie likes this.
  17. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

I would agree 100% that citori is certainly a keeper. Never had anything resemble a pattern that good when played with 410. Never saw anybody else with tube sets put anything like that on paper either. Do you prefer it to shoot a little high and float the targets? I like it setup that way myself.
    Accolades go out ,No wonder you can put up reasonable scores with the little gun.
    Ranger6 likes this.
  18. Ranger6

Did a little more testing this morning. This load the only thing that changed was I swapped in a WIN 209 to see if the numbers would get a little better.

615C7B9C-4D63-4C2D-98EE-E6EFFB5D1D69.png
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
  19. Ranger6

The second string is a fed 209(not a 209A)

EAA00964-23A2-4D9C-81B6-3BC723BA5EF4.png
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
  20. Ranger6

I wanted to compare the 3 different primers more for my experience but thought I would share my thoughts to see what you guys think. The test that I have here it looks like this combination likes the Fed 209 primer the best. The spread, deviation and fps are the lowest of the 3. My goal was 1330 to match the factory federal loads. Next, I will either drop a couple more tenths of a gain and retest or leave it alone and send out to be professionally tested.
    KyBoB likes this.