Browning Superposed

Discussion in 'Browning Superposed Shotgun' started by biking, Mar 14, 2021.

1. biking

biking .22LR

Hey me too...just picked up a 28” twin single trigger Superposed. Serial 8290 best guess came to be bout 1935. My “everything old is new again” scattergun is in good condition. Disassembled it ever so carefully, cleaned it up a bit then added lube where needed. Time to exercise my pre-war O/U so off to the gun club sat my pre-war solid rib piece of Browning history in the gun rack among several high ribbed, engraved hunting scene, choke tubed, ultra figured stock museum pieces and there it sat proudly. Kinda like an old Corvette parked between a row of new Cadillacs...a classic standout. Next up out to shoot 5 stand boy did my O/U preform well...me? running out of typewriter ribbon will have to end. And now the rest of the story. Have always had a strong loyalty for Browning scatter guns as I was an employed at Browning in Utah back in the 70's. The end.

Attached Files:

2. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

So A5s are ....chopped liver?

Welcome from Southwest Idaho.
  3. biking

biking .22LR

What's an A5???
    JUST KIDDING. Thanks for your welcome
  4. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

You used to work at Browning in the 70's?

Ever run into a fellow employee named Art?
  5. Bruski

Bruski .410

Congrats on the new (old) gun, yours appears to have a better finish remaining than mine.
    What's the choking? and what type of forend do you have?
    Mine seems to conform to the "Lightning" specs but is a bit early for that.
    Groping in the dark with some of this.
    Anyway enjoy your piece of shooting history.
    All good B.
  6. biking

biking .22LR

Art? Art? Art? Hey I'm not good with connecting first names to places...geez I'm 80 and some (no make that many) facts 'n figures don't call up as easily as before. Who am I...Frank Kodl I worked with Dave Zeigler, Bob Prosise, Rich Bauter and others in advertising/marketing. Oh and Ted Collins in the photo studio. Never to forget “in Harms (way) Williams”. Of course many many others.

Brusky...my scattergun was choked IM/M however (always a “however) some Neanderthal (Biden’s words) opened up the top barrel soooo they both spec to IM. The forend has side recessed screw. Gonna be a superb 5 stand shooter! D153F8BB-40CE-4DDD-B31B-FC83B78D09C7.jpeg
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Art Isaacson worked at Browning in St. Louis. After retirement he started his own gun shop that is now the go-to place to fix or restore your Browning.
    BAArcher likes this.
  8. john stevens

john stevens .22LR

Congratulations , nice find ! Those prewar are in a class all of their own.
  9. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

Well I don’t recognize those other gentlemen’s names but I know who Frank Kodl is......Kim Kodl’s Dad. Haha!

Mr. Kodl - it is a pleasure and an honor to make your acquaintance sir. I began trapshooting around 1985. I knew nothing except which end of the gun to put the shell in. It was a Gr I 30” Broadway and I did it little justice. But one name I paid great attention to was Frank Kodl.

Thanks for joining us here, Thanks for your service and for your contributions to the shotgun sports.

Also Thanks for sharing your musings about the old Superposed. I’m partial to corvettes also and I’ve always enjoyed your writings. Please don’t be a stranger here. You are the kind of gentleman us young’uns (at 67) could learn a lot about life from - and I (for one) am all ears.

My sincere Best Regards,
    Randy Dennis
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  10. biking

biking .22LR

Randy....Soooo your the guy who shot a Broadway I heard there were a few of you guys! Yup Kim is my pride 'n joy so much more talent then her daddy. So your “partial to Corvettes” me too got a 67 Goodwood Green fastback with side exhaust powered by the “old man” base 300 horse power engine....scares the bejesus outta me! Having been a Browning employee many years back my “lust” for their scatter guns has born again and I just purchased a pre-war trap gun. So cool. What the hell am I gonna do with it? My trap ATA registered days have evaporated. That said my small gun club here in Northern Florida shootin' 5 stand clays will be it's born again debut. So cool. Finally thanks for your kind words much appreciated.
  11. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

Mr Kodl.

I can certainly relate with the phrase, "everything old is new again."

I developed a fondness for the Brownings in the early 60's, at 12 years old - mostly from their ads that graced the first pages of my older brother's Sports Afield, Field & Stream, and Outdoor Life magazines.

Now, I'm the 'old guy' at the gun club that answers questions like, "What kind of gun is that?"........and I introduce the gun as being as old as I am. It's rare that anyone asks, but complimentary when they do (or at least, that's how I choose to 'take' it). I usually take a different gun every time I go - I just like shooting a piece of nostalgia from an era, gone forever...... my youthful dreams, now lived.

Your 'pre-war' with M/M should make an effective weapon for 5-stand. My 'go-to' for 5-stand and sporting (both 'casual') is a '53 Gr V 30" Trap Superposed that is IM/M. My moto is, "live by tight chokes - die by tight chokes". After the first station, I usually get the question - "what chokes are you shooting" - to which I delight in answering, "fixed". Once I answer seriously, there's usually some commotion from choke wrench and tube deployment between stations. So, if the minds of proponents of 'spray and pray', is the least that 'old gun' changes - then it serves a wonderful purpose outside of the joy it brings an aging aficionado who finally learned to put the shot on target, from guys like yourself who proved it could be done on a consistent basis - and for a long time.

My ATA days were fun and rewarding, also - but I had to really 'work' at it. If my greatest thrill was coming-in 2nd in a Zone Handicap to an All-American after missing the first 2 targets out the house - then, I'll gladly own that. Wonderful memories! I have enjoyed a more casual approach to trap since about 1996.

Thanks, again! - Happy Shooting!
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  12. biking

biking .22LR

SAME SONG SECOND VERSE...I was so excited when I found a 1933 Browning pre-war Trap gun. This old trap field competitor is in really really fine condition sporting 30 inch vent rib barrels choked full and improved modified. Notice the “extra cost” extra full hand filing beaver tail forearm. If only these old classics had a log book to review. Imagine the trap shoots it's been too. Notice also the leather cheek protector pad professionally screwed to the stock. The barrels are in superb condition having digested stages of shotshell innovation from fiber wad only shells followed by fiber wad shells with separate plastic shot protector then the “how did we get along without 'em”one piece wads of today. My my how things have changed but not the Browning Superposed...well done John 'n Val

Attached Files:

13. Bruski

Bruski .410

Well done. A fine looking piece.
  14. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

Mr. Kodl

Nice old gun - Congratulations and Thanks for sharing it with us. The best thing about someone else's new acquisitions (of old classics) is, I get to share in their excitement - and it doesn't cost me a dime.

I notice yours has what was known as the 'non-crossfire rib' design (step rib with a 'v' notch at the top of the riser).

The early trap models with the 'full' beavertail forearms are somewhat fascinating to me. They don't really appeal to me aesthetically, but I have large hands and long arms and the wide forearms are surprisingly comfortable (to me).

I found a 1954 FN D5 Grade Superposed 30" 2-bbl a while back and it has the full beavertail forearms - like 2-1/2" wide - and the forearms on both barrel sets are 13-3/4" long. Standard length was around 10-1/2" to 11-1/2". This is a trap/skeet combo by the chokes, .036"/.033" and .004"/.004" - and the chokes are 'unmarked' (and I plan to keep them that way). It is also a factory parallel Monte Carlo style comb which may have been a bit uncommon (or special order) in the day.
    [​IMG]

I know FN built a Superposed for Fred Burns (Australia) in 1956 that had 13"-14" long, 3-pc forearms on 30" F/F barrels. It was called 'The Special'. Along about 1959, FN built 20 A1 Grade Superposed with long forearms (1-pc, I believe) that were called 'Bowman Specials' - perhaps Mr Bowman was another Aussie who achieved recognition as a trap shooter.

So, I'd be interested to hear if you have encountered other 1950's trap or pigeon guns that had unusually long forearms - and is there merit to the thought that this was to make the gun more 'weight-forward' for mounted-gun shooting disciplines - or am I just over-thinking it a bit. You've been around more trap venues than I, so I am just curious if 'long forearms' on Superposed ever came up in conversation.

One other thing that a pigeon-shooting friend shared with me about the wide forearms is, they keep the hand farther away from hot barrels during multi-target events, especially in temperate climates. I see something 'to' that especially while practicing trap doubles by myself - It's so much fun, I can't load the gun fast enough.

'Would be interested in your thoughts if you have the time. Otherwise, I hope the new 'old' guns are serving you well on the range. Best Regards, Randy
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  15. biking

biking .22LR

WOW exceptional looking combo if ya need to exercise' 'em and are time challenged ship to me I'll make sure they destroy clay targets. No doubt my new/old trap gun features the “fatty”forearm and yes it's a w-i-d-e hand full which becomes super comfortable in short order. Gosh never aware of longer Browning forearms. Your expertise concerning Browning's greatly exceeds mine.

Browning twin single trigger update. Fourth time at gun club shooting 5 stand. My proud pre-war 28 inch barreled solid rib Superposed rests in the gun rack amongst choke tubed, engraved, 32 inch barreled, “you know the name” foreign scatterguns. Ahhh but when the smoke settled my 4 round scores were at the top or second. Before shooting one of the rounds I asked if anyone had ever seen a over/under with out choke tubes. Yes it was sarcastic.
    P.S. Randy please please no more Mr. Kodl....it's Frank my “Mr” days are no longer.
  16. Bruski

Bruski .410

Hmmm...given the size of my hands, maybe I should start looking for a gun with these wider forearms.
    Were they made in any numbers or am I looking at something of a rarity?
    Cheers B.
  17. biking

biking .22LR

Hey Randy, good question and with your wealth of Browning historical data...the answer is??? Thanks Frank
  18. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

As you wish, Frank - Thank You.

I'd love to send it to you , or better yet, bring it down there myself. When I get it back from addressing issues either caused or avoided during a 9-month metal restoration, having the engraving touched-up on repair areas, and a total wood and checkering re-conditioning, I would gladly send it to you to shoot the misses out of it. I can think of no better tribute to that gun than to have a true Champion delight in its 'oldness', and the joy it brings to the shooter who appreciates it. I'll send my email address to you via private message. I'll be happy to send you a copy of the 'work scope' I developed for the current project. We can correspond, and I'll send you the gun when it is finished - seriously. I know it will be in good hands if you'd like to shoot a few rounds through it.

Thanks for your kind comments - I am passionate about the Superposed history and details (FN and Browning), but still have more questions about them, than answers. I learn something new, every day. Breaking targets is far less 'work' with the target gun, but given a relaxing casual round of trap or practice, I'd much prefer shooting a nice old Superposed - tight, fixed chokes and all. Otherwise I might get 'sloppy' with my approach to each target.

I'm happy the pre-war 28" gun is performing well for you - as you said, "everything old is new again" and I fully understand and appreciate that sentiment.

'Bruski' - Thanks for your interest. Not to highjack Frank's wonderful thread - 'Full' beavertails on B25's are relatively uncommon on the market, but surface occasionally. You just have to watch for them.

I apologize for the tardy acknowledgement.

Happy Shooting, ladies and gentlemen!
  19. biking

biking .22LR

OK OK I’m back....Easter history my how time fly’s. Yikes Randy, no no no not a gonna shoot your stunning blunderbuss (sp) combo it was said with tongue in cheek.
    Have now shot my twin/single trigger pre-war half a dozen times at 5 stand racking up a high of 21x25 (“ya I saw a piece”) having to be called out a few times. Anyway I am experiencing a bit of difficulty opening the stack barrel after firing both barrels. Got to wondering why. Yes yes it is well lubed (not excessively) with quality grease in all the right places. Still after firing it's a bear to open. For the heck of it I measured the fired rims compared to unfired and they were a spec larger. Put 'em to a test....I took the fired shells and chambered them in an Rem. 1100 and let the bolt slam shut. Yup I couldn't open the bolt. A little pounding on the bolt handle with a rubber mallet failed to do the trick had to remove the barrel for shell removal. All this said I don't feel there is any potential hazard shooting the O/U it does open with a bit of effort. All other functions work. My thoughts...might the chambers of pre-wars be a spec larger because of yesterday designed shotshells? Thoughts?
  20. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I had a new CZ that I couldn’t open after less than a box of shells. I sent it back and they replaced it, telling me that the firing pins were too long and got stuck in the primers. I’ve heard this can happen to guns with nothing wrong with them if the primer backs out of its pocket on firing. Look for drag marks on the base of the shell.
    Anatidae likes this.