Browning Citori xs ultra skeet fail to fire lower barrel intermittently

Discussion in 'Browning Citori Shotgun' started by charles congema, May 2, 2023.

1. charles congema

charles congema Copper BB

I have a Browning Citori xs ultra skeet it fails to fire lower barrel intermittently when it is selected as the first barrel to fire I will get a very light primer strike not enough to fire the round. I had a gunsmith look at the gun he found nothing wrong just gave it a good cleaning If I select the top barrel to fire first I have no problems .,The fail to fire occurs maybe 3 times per round of skeet. anyone see this issue before or can point me in the right direction? Thank you
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Known issues with fining pins in lower barrel. Have you tried different ammo? I have issues with the Winchester universal 1 oz load. There are some strong springs that can be installed also. I would assume your gunsmith checked the firing pin protrusion on that barrel. I have seen them a little short cause problems with some ammo if the primers are set a little deep.
    Welcome to the forum and if you need any assistance please let me know. Thanks, Ranger6
  3. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

How old are the hammer springs? Because of the spring and pin angle for lower barrel in superposed receiver a slightly weakened compromised spring will give you intermittent and weak strikes while the top barrel functions fine as it is a more in line direct strike. About 12 to 20000 round mark this can happen.
    Check pins with magnification and see if any pitting or frets starting on radius of pin protrusion lower barrel. This is a clue of things to come.
  4. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Oh yeah sometimes people try polish the frets out with wet n dry paper and inadvertent effect the pin protrusion or pin profile and it intermittent skips on primer face
    KyBoB likes this.
  5. charles congema

where would i find the stringer hammer springs and is there a company that might sell firing pins that are slightly longer? thank everyone for your advise
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

7. charles congema

I am the guns second owner it was an estate sale the guns serial number indicates 2001 as the build year
  8. Ranger6

Without knowing the past history if it were me, I would put new pins and springs. I would want to know some measurements on the pin protrusion. I would inspect the old pins, just to know if there was a problem in the past. If they are eroded, you will be able to see it under a glass. If you reload, I would make note as to what primers your using, some see Cheddite cause problems and some don't. If that's the only available primer to you then get an extra set of pins, springs and learn to do yourself. If the primers are causing the issue, you will do it again. It's not that difficult to do if you are mechanically inclined. If you post some pictures of fired shells here, we can tell you if they are pierced or not.
    Again, it may be the ammo you're using. I just had issues with Bornaghi gold shells in 410. I had several lite strikes in bottom barrel of Citori. The pins are fine.
  9. charles congema

i ordered the new parts and will have them installed thank you
  10. Ranger6

11. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Tip if you decide to have a go yourself do it in the toilet room with lid down and door shut. White small room makes it an easy find if something gets away from you under tension. Oh yeah wear safety glasses as the JP springs compressed have plenty of sprong!
  12. Ranger6

Springs fly out? That only happens to old guys, like us. Spent lots of time on hands and knees looking for little springs.
  13. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Quote from song Auzzie Rock band "Midnight Oil"
    "Better to die on your feet than live on your knees"
    Or Metal Detect sweep the workshop floor or yard praying. Lived that dream too.
    Ranger6 likes this.