Browning BAR Rifle Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by Billythekid, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Here is the place to talk about any and all Troubleshooting for your Browning BAR Rifle.
    Dug Hoz likes this.
  2. Dug Hoz

Dug Hoz Copper BB

I have a BAR limited edition 30-06 with a rubberized camo coating. It has been kept in a gun safe, with a dehumidifying rod to prevent humidity. I noticed that the rubberized coating has become rather sticky, and it is annoying to say the least. Is there some chemical I can put on it to seal the rubber and get rid of the sticky coating? If I try rubbing it, it just becomes a mess. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
  3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Dug Hoz !!

To answer your question...I do not know of any treatment that will return that rubber coatong to like new condition.

But I would swap out that dehumidifying rod...sure as hell ain't doing it's job !!
  4. steven schindler

steven schindler Copper BB

Hi Billythekid
    I was cleaning my Bar Safari 300 win mag as usual but after pressing the bolt release, I could not pull the bolt back. It is "locked"closed any suggestions or causes?
    Thanks,
    Steve
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Steven !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum.
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

As far as your problem...I will defer to the experts here.
  7. steven schindler

Thank you
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  8. steven schindler

Rifle is on its way to Browning
  9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Good call...keep us in the loop !!
  10. Did you test the mounting holes before shipping it back? Had 2 brand new BARs in a row with unusable mounting holes. Very disappointing.
  11. Planetcat

Planetcat .410

I know this is a late reply, but I recently had the same problem on my Winchester SX2 shotgun with Dura-Touch stocks that got sticky. I just sprayed them with Krylon matte clear 2x clearcoat spray ($4 at home depot), and they are no longer sticky and have a nice matte finish to them. The clearcoat is supposed to be super durable and not yellow or chip away, so I think it's a good fix for the sticky dura-touch stock problems.
  12. E350

E350 .22LR

I shot my 30-06 BAR at the range for the first time today. Excellent rifle! One bit of trouble or maybe a feature or something for a potential modification? Is that the magazine is too hard to remove from the trap door. I received multiple magazines when I bought the rifle, but realistically it is very hard to swap them.

Has anyone removed the spring from the trap door to make swapping possible/faster?

Any other suggestions?
  13. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

My suggestion is to consider the fact that the floorplate holds on tightly to the mags as a benefit. That way you're unlikely to lose them. :)

Or, look for a BAR Hog Stalker or an FNAR. They use detachable box mags, and they make up to 30-rounders. I have a few for mine. :)
  14. Jerrdogg

Jerrdogg Copper BB

Has anyone ever had a problem with the bolt only closing half way,and the only way to get it to release was by opening the floorplate , also with the floorplate open and working the bolt the lugs don't line up all the time and when the do very seldom will it close completely . Thanks