Broken Barrel Cam

Discussion in 'Browning Hi Power Handgun' started by hp9mm, Oct 5, 2022.

1. hp9mm

hp9mm Copper BB

After about 10,000 rounds my 69C Hi-Power broke the barrel cam. I called Browning and they sent me to MidWesternGunWorks who didn't have a cam but they suggested I call Cylinder and Slide. I spoke to C&S's customer service who said they could replace the cam but they were working 20 months behind. He then said that the shop foreman who handled all cam replacements personally was out that day and he would check with him upon his return. The next day he called me back and said they would do the work on a fast turnaround work order which would take only two months. I asked him if they saw broken cams often and he said that they did because he thinks they are the only company who can replace them. Cost will be about $325 including a rebluing of the frame as the cam is penned in.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Unless I'm missing something, it's sounds like a good outcome.

Thanks for sharing this information. It is helpful.
  3. hp9mm

hp9mm Copper BB

II

I received my repaired Hi-Power back in two weeks from Cylinder and Slide. The work is perfect, in fact it looks better than the original Belgium work. Previously, you could see the oval shape of the cam on each side of the frame. Now it is not apparent, and the re-blue matches the slide. Very high-quality work done professionally and quickly. Count me as a very satisfied C&S client!
    Mister Coffee likes this.
  4. cxm

cxm Copper BB

Just curious, but have you shot +P or +P+ ammo in your HP?

C&S has a reputation for really good quality work on not only HPs but also on 1911s.

FWIW

Chuck

5. hp9mm

hp9mm Copper BB

Chuck,
    I did fire a number, maybe 5,000, rounds of near max charge loads but none were described as +P in the loading manuals. Now, I fire the Layman TC mould bullet in front of 3.8 grains of Tite Group.
  6. cxm

cxm Copper BB

Unless you are using Speer #8 reloading manual high end loads should not break a locking block... Some times things just break.

Thanks for the reply...

Chuck